aneldebruyn Guest

Advanced Have or Has

Hello there

I understand the have/has principle, and have very good command of the English language. However, I live in London, and often come across signs, posters, advertisements and pamphlets that have the following copy: "Sainsbury's have pledged their allegiance...." or SouthWest have undertaken engineering work" or AMT Coffee have decided to introduce a new drink". Surely all of the above should be HAS? Is the company not seen as a singular entity the same way, for example, a few birds have flown south, but the whole flock HAS taken off together?

I would appreciate any help with this annoying problem!

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advanced Have or Has

I think they are used as collective nouns that can be treated either way.
    His family is rich.
    His family are workaholics.

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advanced Have or Has

Quote Originally Posted by aneldebruyn View Post
    Hello there

I understand the have/has principle, and have very good command of the English language. However, I live in London, and often come across signs, posters, advertisements and pamphlets that have the following copy: "Sainsbury's have pledged their allegiance...." or SouthWest have undertaken engineering work" or AMT Coffee have decided to introduce a new drink". Surely all of the above should be HAS? Is the company not seen as a singular entity the same way, for example, a few birds have flown south, but the whole flock HAS taken off together?

I would appreciate any help with this annoying problem!
    A group (or in this case, a company) can be perceived either as a single entity or else as a collection of individuals. In the above instances, both have and has are acceptable. Their choice of "have" may be deliberate: they prefer to be perceived as a group of individual human beings rather than as an "anonymous" entity.

It works the same way with collective names: I herd of cows have/has broken into my garden ... A flock of birds have/has eaten all my raspberries.