• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation indonesian advertising

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this site, and when I found it I nearly fell from my chair for I far too happy as I am kinda desperate and brain dead because I kinda lost in my writing topic.

Cut long story short; I'm going to write about advertising across cultures. Between English and Indonesian *my country* culture and I focus mainly in pragmatics.

So here's the case:

My language is known for its own deviation and errors; because we are just silly willy people who don't use our own language properly. In daily conversation; we use slanks and informal form a lot. And since we're lame, we think that if we converse in English; we're bunch of cool people *this is the fact*

Our government is concerned about this and even has founded a rule for us not to use foreign language in public places.

This of course, applies too on advertising. (Yes, we also use English in our ads. Mainly on code-switching and code-mixing, between Indonesian and English. Of course linguistic-wise sometimes it's erroneous.)

However, I try to make a stand about it. Because the reason for them making aforementioned rule is just tad ridiculous. And my view about that is going to be written on my scientific writing. Because according to the books I read; what important most in ads is the pragmatics. As long as the message is conveyed; then it will be no problem. Because language itself is a form of creativity, no?

Buttttt~ there's one problem.

I can't seem to narrow down the research I'm going to conduct; leave alone to formulate the research questions. I've been reading lots; but as I said before, it's very difficult even to think one.

So any TIPS. Or new theory, to support my stand, even a dinky one; will be very VERY helpful. Thanks very very much in advance.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: indonesian advertising

There's not much to fault there, but say take a stand (rather than make a stand).

Could you give some examples of how Indonesian adverstising might differ from American advertising? Or just some examples of Indonesian advertising?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    There's not much to fault there, but say take a stand (rather than make a stand).

Could you give some examples of how Indonesian adverstising might differ from American advertising? Or just some examples of Indonesian advertising?

Ooo yeah sorry bout that *sheepish*

Well, for one, since I want to focus on pragmatics, then it'll be tad different from American ads--since, you see, we use a lot of code-switching and code-mixing between our mother tongue and English.
    For example;
    1. Polo (mint candy ad)
    Main gitar bikin plong (translation: Playing guitar is relieving)
    Lets sing a long

2. L.A Lights (cigarette ads)
    Enjoy aja (translation: Just enjoy)

And that's pretty much it, because we're just a sad copy cat and lack of creativity xD but I can say we're good at puns, as we're playful in using words.

However, can we still call it as a 'pun' if it's used in between two languages? Like, they share same word, but totally different meaning. For example, Lima is the capital city of Peru but in Indonesian it means 'five'.

Like so...

I'm lost about the term bits xD;

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa_maryanto View Post
    Ooo yeah sorry bout that *sheepish*

Well, for one, since I want to focus on pragmatics, then it'll be tad different from American ads--since, you see, we use a lot of code-switching and code-mixing between our mother tongue and English.
    For example;
    1. Polo (mint candy ad)
    Main gitar bikin plong (translation: Playing guitar is relieving)
    Lets sing a long

2. L.A Lights (cigarette ads)
    Enjoy aja (translation: Just enjoy)

And that's pretty much it, because we're just a sad copy cat and lack of creativity xD but I can say we're good at puns, as we're playful in using words.

However, can we still call it as a 'pun' if it's used in between two languages? Like, they share same word, but totally different meanings. For example, Lima is the capital city of Peru but in Indonesian it means 'five'.

Like so...

I'm lost about the term bits xD;
    Interesting. Thanks for the glimpse into Indonesian culture.

• Post Thanks / Like

The French are also worried about the loss of their language.

Au revoir Mister Franglais

French ban on English words

Vanishing languages

The Toubon Law
    Last edited by Methuselah; 17-Jun-2008 at 11:37.