Anonymous Guest

peanut / peanuts / penis

can somebody pls tell me how to pronunce these words correctly?and show me where the stress should be.
    I learned from the media that once William Hung mispronunce "peanuts" with "penis" in public,but I still can't tell the difference in thier pronunciation.
    Pls help.

Thank you.

Peanut

Peanuts

Penis

Natalie27 Guest

Re: peanut / peanuts / penis

Quote Originally Posted by international student
    can somebody pls tell me how to pronunce these words correctly?and show me where the stress should be.
    I learned from the media that once William Hung mispronunce "peanuts" with "penis" in public,but I still can't tell the difference in thier pronunciation.
    Pls help.

Thank you.

Peanut

Peanuts

Penis

Add to the list "pianist" as well.....
    Well, your best bet is to use an online dictionary that has a "pronunciation" feature come with it. Try Websters. It works really good.
    Now, it's true that peanuts and penis sound very similar and there has been numerous jokes about it. Even at home when I was younger my siblings used to say "Want some penis butter with your toast?" Of course, we laugh at this now but kids and even adults still like to joke about it.
    If you are in school, I would definitely make sure you make the "T" sound come as clear as a bell as the teacher wants to knows you are talking about a famous pianist and not a famous penis.
    Try online dictionaries, that's my best bet.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    William Hung sounds a suspicious character in this context.

Natalie27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    William Hung sounds a suspicious character in this context.

So does Mr. Studly Hungwell....