Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Exclamation meaning of idiom

    what is the real meaning of 'turn the corner?
    is it 'turn to corner' or turn the corner'
    i read it somewhere in a book, the sentence was
    THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THE PATIENT HAS TURNED THE CORNER.

  1. proof.beh's Avatar

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by rabeea suhail View Post
    what is the real meaning of 'turn the corner?
    is it 'turn to corner' or turn the corner'
    i read it somewhere in a book, the sentence was
    THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THE PATIENT HAS TURNED THE CORNER.
    if something or someone turns the corner, their situation starts to improve after a difficult period.

    I think the sentence given above means

    Doctor said that the disease of patient has improved after a difficult period!

    Not a teacher

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by rabeea suhail View Post
    The doctor said that the patient has turned the corner.
    The patient improved.

    (The disease didn't improve. The patient improved.)

  3. proof.beh's Avatar

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The patient improved.

    (The disease didn't improve. The patient improved.)
    Ron, I think if your disease improves, then you are going to be fine!
    Otherwise, how a patient is going to be fine while his illness does not show any improvement?

    That is all!

    Not a Teacher!

    P

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: meaning of idiom

    The health of the disease and the health of the patient are directly opposed to each other. If the disease gets better the patient gets worse, and vice versa.


  5. proof.beh's Avatar

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The health of the disease and the health of the patient are directly opposed to each other. If the disease gets better the patient gets worse, and vice versa.

    I think your idea must be missing the mark, as I can see it eventually different from what I've seen in the movies, magazines and etc.

    'Untreatable Eye Disease Improves With Avastin'

    This was a headline of a medical magazine that I just read it!

    Cheers,
    P

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by proof.beh View Post
    I think your idea must be missing the mark, as I can see it eventually different from what I've seen in the movies, magazines and etc.

    'Untreatable Eye Disease Improves With Avastin'

    This was a headline of a medical magazine that I just read it!
    This was a headline in a medical magazine that I just read.

    "'Untreatable Eye Disease Improves With Avastin'" - Google Search
    It is true (as the above links attests) that that usage is possible. However, if a patient has malaria and the malaria virus is killed then the patient improves. As long as the malaria virus thrives then the patient remains sick.


  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by proof.beh View Post
    I think your idea must be missing the mark, as I can see it eventually different from what I've seen in the movies, magazines and etc.
    I think your idea must be missing the mark, as it is different from what I've seen in the movies, magazines, etc.

  8. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: meaning of idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    This was a headline in a medical magazine that I just read.

    "'Untreatable Eye Disease Improves With Avastin'" - Google Search
    It is true (as the above links attests) that that usage is possible. However, if a patient has malaria and the malaria virus is killed then the patient improves. As long as the malaria virus thrives then the patient remains sick.

    This inverse proportion accounts for a joke my wife often cracks:

    Me: How's your cold?
    She: Oh, it's doing fine, I still feel like Hell though.

    b

  9. eslkorea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 37
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: meaning of idiom

    you can also check other idioms here: http://www.idiomsite.com/

    site has been very useful to me...:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. meaning of the idiom "a dream ticket"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2007, 15:34
  2. More depth would improve idiom explanations
    By Mel Malinowski in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2006, 01:30
  3. Sense and Meaning
    By Infinity in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 10:39
  4. meaning of idiom expression, blow your trumphet
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2004, 15:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •