Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    at/on (the) sight of sth

    Hi, Teachers.

    I just learned the phrase at/on sight. Now I am wondering which is/are grammatical, at sight of sth, at the sight of sth, on sight of sth, or on the sight of sth?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 80
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    at the sight of

    The meaning is the same as upon seeing something.




    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hi, Teachers.

    I just learned the phrase at/on sight. Now I am wondering which is/are grammatical, at sight of sth, at the sight of sth, on sight of sth, or on the sight of sth?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia
    The collocation is "at sight" or "on sight" = immediately

    He recognised her kindness on sight
    They knew they would like Rome at sight
    On sight, we liked the restaurant

  1. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    I am fallen in admiration from Anglika's answer at first sight
    Last edited by philadelphia; 11-Jun-2008 at 02:03. Reason: A typo


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    I am fallen in admiration from Anglika's answer at first sight

    Is 'at first sight' or 'at the first sight' grammatical?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    Both are grammatical, in the correct context.

    At first sight, we could not believe the size of the Eiffel Tower

    At the first sight of the Eiffel tower, we were amazed.

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    I have never seen "at the first sight" using from native speakers. However, I would not say that "at the first sight" is wrong but rather that a reduction brought out towards "at first sight" - more commonly used.

    Knowing I am not sure and native speaker of English, wait and see from some.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    Quote Originally Posted by vivemafille View Post
    at the sight of

    The meaning is the same as upon seeing something.

    Thanks!

    The numbers of google results are as follows:
    "at the sight of" 427,000;
    "on the sight of" 23,300;
    "at sight of" 14,900;
    "on sight of" 2,800.


  3. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    There is no real way of using them. It profoundly depends on the context. Take a look at some:

    He was fallen in love at first sight.
    At first sight he seemed to be fallen in love.
    I lost sight of somebody/something.
    On the sight of that, I did another thing.
    Bear the sight of somebody.
    There is no end in sight.
    Keep it out of sight.
    I know somebody by sight.
    I can shoot at/on sight.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: at/on (the) sight of sth

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    There is no real way of using them. It profoundly depends on the context. Take a look at some:

    He was fallen in love at first sight.
    At first sight he seemed to be fallen in love.
    I lost sight of somebody/something.
    On the sight of that, I did another thing.
    Bear the sight of somebody.
    There is no end in sight.
    Keep it out of sight.
    I know somebody by sight.
    I can shoot at/on sight.
    very helpful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wordsworth:Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 19:58
  2. Sight and see?
    By Belly T in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2007, 14:03
  3. something is a sight for sore eyes
    By Laurie K in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2005, 15:32
  4. lost to sight alike and hearsay
    By beeja in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2004, 14:41
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2003, 01:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •