Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    no comparable or comparable with no

    Hello Everyone,

    The following sentence is taken from my interpreting textbook. Based on the original Chinese, the underlined should be no comparable with ... I am wondering whether the phrase can be changed as above or must remain the same?

    In its historical development, Shanghai became a small town in the Song Dynasty, a county in the Yuan Dynasty, a walled city in the Ming Dynasty. Shanghai is by no means a shining star among the numerous bright stars of China's famous ancient cities, comparable with no distant cities like Xi'an, Kaifeng and Luoyang, nor with the near cities like Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou.

    Regards

    Sky

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    The following sentence is taken from my interpreting textbook. Based on the original Chinese, the underlined should be no comparable with ... I am wondering whether the phrase can be changed as above or must remain the same?

    In its historical development, Shanghai became a small town in the Song Dynasty, a county in the Yuan Dynasty, a walled city in the Ming Dynasty. Shanghai is by no means a shining star among the numerous bright stars of China's famous ancient cities, comparable with no distant cities like Xi'an, Kaifeng and Luoyang, nor with the near cities like Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou.

    Regards

    Sky
    It could be rephrased as "not comparable with", but the usage "comparable with no [other thing]" is acceptable.

    However, I find the meaning of the sentence a bit obscure - I wonder if it is not really "....unlike distant cities such as xxxxx, or closer cities such as xxx".

  3. #3
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It could be rephrased as "not comparable with", but the usage "comparable with no [other thing]" is acceptable.

    However, I find the meaning of the sentence a bit obscure - I wonder if it is not really "....unlike distant cities such as xxxxx, or closer cities such as xxx".

    Many thanks for your quick and professional replies since I have been a member of this forum. It is not exegerating to say here many authentic private teachers come to my home to offers their benevenent helps

    The book of the sentence is drafted and edited by Chinese and it is inevitabl that mistakes will occur.

    The original meaning of the sentence , according to my understanding is that Shanghai can't be considered as a famous ancient cities With regards to its history as well as the numbers and famousness of the historical relics and tourist attractions it boasts, it can't be comparable with Xian, Suzhou and many other famous ancient Chinese cities.

    I am wondering under such meaning how the sentence should adjusted?

    Regards

    Sky

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    . Shanghai is by no means a shining star among the numerous bright stars of China's famous ancient cities, comparable with no distant cities like Xi'an, Kaifeng and Luoyang, nor with the near cities like Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou.
    OK - here's my take on it:

    Unlike the cities of Xi'an, Nanjing, Hangzhou or Kaifeng, Shanghai cannot be regarded as one of the bright stars among China's ancient and famous cities.


  5. #5
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    OK - here's my take on it:

    Unlike the cities of Xi'an, Nanjing, Hangzhou or Kaifeng, Shanghai cannot be regarded as one of the bright stars among China's ancient and famous cities.

    In my last post, famousness is used. However, I find now that there is no such vocabularies in English. Which word can use to replace it?

    THANKS A LOT

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    In its historical development, Shanghai became a small town during the (period of) the Song Dynasty, a county during the Yuan Dynasty, and a walled city during the Ming Dynasty.

    A dynasty is a line of hereditary rulers of a country -hence, a city cannot be 'in' a dynasty but 'in the time of King Henry Viii" or 'during the Tudor period



    Unlike the cities of Xi'an, Nanjing, Hangzhou or Kaifeng, Shanghai cannot be regarded as one of the bright stars among China's ancient and famous cities.

  7. #7
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: no comparable or comparable with no

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    In its historical development, Shanghai became a small town during the (period of) the Song Dynasty, a county during the Yuan Dynasty, and a walled city during the Ming Dynasty.

    A dynasty is a line of hereditary rulers of a country -hence, a city cannot be 'in' a dynasty but 'in the time of King Henry Viii" or 'during the Tudor period



    Unlike the cities of Xi'an, Nanjing, Hangzhou or Kaifeng, Shanghai cannot be regarded as one of the bright stars among China's ancient and famous cities.
    Many thanks!

    For me "during" and "in" are ok in the sentence. This, I presume, results from culture differences or from the fact that I have not understood the differences between in and duing. So could you please explain the differences here?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •