Quote Originally Posted by hotmetal View Post
Hello again tzfujimino!

She has just died of cancer (with a c) is possible. "Has just" is a valid formulation.
But like RonBee says, "has died" would indicate that this change of state is not permanent. There is only one valid case for this when talking about a person, and that is Jesus. In Christianity, we believe that Christ died, was resurrected and will come again. So the Church has a liturgy that reads "Christ has died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again." Obviously this cannot apply to ordinary mortals, so generally it is wrong.

There is a slight exception, and that is when talking informally about machines. It is perfectly possible to say "My computer has died" or "My car has died". This is because it is not a living thing and so has not really died. It is simply a more dramatic way of saying "My computer suddenly stopped working" but can be fixed.
I understand what you mean.
I think "has died" is OK when it is used for "(recently) completed action."
However, when it is used with "time" expressions(e.g. 'for the past ten years' or 'these ten years'), it doesn't work, I guess.
I'm not really sure about the usage of it in the context of Christianity.(because I'm not a Christian. I understand what you are trying to say, though.)
Thank you, hotmetal, engee, and riverkid.
It was really an interesting discussion!