• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comprehension

Dear teachers,

I have read a story written by Naguib Mahfous. The story described the changes about a little town. The title of the story is 'Half a day'. I don't understand the title. As far as time is concerned he spent whole at school. As far as the content is concerned he wrote something when he was a little boy to when he became an old man. So how should I understand the title?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

I have read a story written by Naguib Mahfous. The story described the changes about a little town. The title of the story is 'Half a day'. I don't understand the title. As far as time is concerned he spent whole at school. As far as the content is concerned he wrote something when he was a little boy to when he became an old man. So how should I understand the title?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I'm not sure, sorry, but 'half a day' means that you have to work or go to school in the morning or afternoon only. It's a half-day. Students and workers alike love half days, so maybe the author is referring to his life being like a half day of school or work. Get the morning off (i.e., morning refers to the early years of one's life, one's childhood) and work in the afternoon (i.e., afternoon refers to the later years of one's life, one's adult life). His childhood was good or rough and his adult life was rough or good. You should decide. I haven't read the book. :wink:

All the best, :D

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Dear teachers,
    Dear Caseopea,
    I think your explanation makes sense.

Best wishes,

Jiang

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I'm not sure, sorry, but 'half a day' means that you have to work or go to school in the morning or afternoon only. It's a half-day. Students and workers alike love half days, so maybe the author is referring to his life being like a half day of school or work. Get the morning off (i.e., morning refers to the early years of one's life, one's childhood) and work in the afternoon (i.e., afternoon refers to the later years of one's life, one's adult life). His childhood was good or rough and his adult life was rough or good. You should decide. I haven't read the book. :wink:

All the best, :D

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. :D