• Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Any subtle difference between two versions?

"Together they made a seminal short film about the great French photographer Eugène Atget, who wandered the unpopulated streets of Paris with a huge camera, searching for images of the city that endured and the city that was disappearing."

In the above sentence, it is clear that the two cities refer to the same city, Paris. But if I paraphrase the sentence into "searching for images of what endured as well as what was disappearing of the city, is there a subtle difference? In other words, if I don't repeat the city twice. The reason I am asking this is that the original writer creates an impression that he is describing two cities, even though he is actually talking about the same Paris. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any subtle difference between two versions?

the original writer creates an impression that he is describing two cities

Exactly! You have caught, felt his intention. He is making the stark contrast in words, what the film-maker did in images: a Paris he remembers and knows, with those distinctive features and ways of life that are quintessentially the life of Paris and which survive and endure, and a Paris that is dying, to exist only as a dream remembered, a ghost. Paris is lovers walking under the bridges of the Seine. Paris is the artists of Montmartre. Let one disappear, and a 'Paris' disappears.

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In other words, he is trying to portrait "two cities" of Paris, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you've misconstrued.
    The dichotomy is between the Paris that he remembers and the Paris that he now sees around him. We may think of the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Élysées, Notre Dame as 'yes, that's Paris.' To him, some market in some square in some suburb of Paris might have been part of everything that meant 'Paris' to him. And if the market closes, then 'Paris' has changed. Some things endure, some things pass. There may be many more things that are still 'Paris' to him as quintessential, but something has gone, not endured.

colloquium is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    In other words, he is trying to portrait "two cities" of Paris, right?
    Yes.

He was looking for images which would represent the two sides of Paris - the city that endured and the city that was disappearing - the sentence itself suggests that they co-exist.

I don't think it is a dichotomy in the sense of what was there and what was gone as David L suggests, because the word "disappearing" is used - not "had disappeared". He was seeking images which showed evidence of Paris changing, not images which showed Paris in a changed state.

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I got it. I was going to far. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is a dichotomy in the sense of what was there and what was gone as David L suggests, because the word "disappearing" is used - not "had disappeared". He was seeking images which showed evidence of Paris changing, not images which showed Paris in a changed state.

Did he use of montage?
    As I see it, as I imagine: the film-maker shows Montmatre with a sole artist, with an art gallery in view that is boarded up with "To rent." Indicating that the artist colony of Montmatre is disappearing.
    which showed evidence of Paris changing, not images which showed Paris in a changed state.
    Frankly, you damn well can't show ANTHING in a 'changed' state unless there is something to compare it with, even if this comparison is some preconception of how something probably looked before e.g. a derelict house. How the hell is the viewer to know 'this has changed;!
    Puh-leeeze !
    Last edited by David L.; 29-Jun-2008 at 23:03.

colloquium is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Did he use of montage?
    As I see it, as I imagine: the film-maker shows Montmatre with a sole artist, with an art gallery in view that is boarded up with "To rent." Indicating that the artist colony of Montmatre is disappearing.
    which showed evidence of Paris changing, not images which showed Paris in a changed state.
    Frankly, you damn well can't show ANTHING in a 'changed' state unless there is something to compare it with, even if this comparison is some preconception of how something probably looked before e.g. a derelict house. How the hell is the viewer to know 'this has changed;!
    Puh-leeeze !
    I too imagine the gallery boarded up, with for sale written across the front, and I see this as an example of "Paris changing".

I'm not sure why you are explaining to me that an understanding of change is dependent on the proof or presupposition of different, past states. Did I argue otherwise?