to comprehend by sight or sound
- I can hardly make out the number on the door.
- I can't make out what she is trying to say.
- How did you make out with the accountant?
- How were you able to make out on only 5 dollars a day?
to sleep together; to kiss
- Joe bragged that he made out last night.
- Bill and Jane were making out on the sofa.
to (try to) establish
- He made out that he was innocent.
- Are you making me out to be a liar?
He made out the invoices.
Jane started making out job applications.