Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I love vs I'm loving

Hello all
    We all know that "love" isn't usually used in the progressive. Why should someone say "I'm happy and I'm loving my life". I mean when do we use it in progressive? Is there any rule??!
    Thanks a lot.

venkatasu is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I love vs I'm loving

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Hello all
    We all know that "love" isn't usually used in the progressive. Why should someone say "I'm happy and I'm loving my life". I mean when do we use it in progressive? Is there any rule??!
    Thanks a lot.
    I am happy and I 'm loving my life now

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ven for your answer.
    But as i said in the beginning, 'love' isn't usually used in the progressive! Is this an exception of its use or what.
    Otherwise I can say: I'm happy and I love my life.

venkatasu is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ven for your answer.
    But as i said in the beginning, 'love' isn't usually used in the progressive! Is this an exception of its use or what.
    Otherwise I can say: I'm happy and I love my life.
    please refer

Progressive, Stative, and Dynamic Verbs

rj1948 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all
    Thanks a lot.
    Like,love,hate,see,hear,own..are stative verbs.These verbs discuss states which continue over a period of time.
    These verbs are not used in progressive form.

However,some stative vrebs are occassionally used in progressive form when they describe something with a definite beginning and end.
    They are having a party./lunch.
    I'm thinking of going to England.
    I'm seeing her tomorrow.
    I'm not feeling well today.
    Regards,
    rj1948.

Post Thanks / Like

Venkatasu had the right idea when he said: "I'm happy and I'm loving my life now." The present progressive is usually used for temporary actions. (Things that don't continue for a long time). So the sentence "I'm happy and I love my life." is different than: "I'm happy and I'm loving my life."

I'm happy and I love my life. (present simple)
    This has the nuance that things usually go well and you don't expect anything bad to happen.

I'm happy and I'm loving my life. (present progressive)
    This sounds like bad things have happened before, but for right now, things are going well. It sounds like things might change in the future though.

People usually don't use love in the progressive form, because it is temporary. For example:
    "I'm loving you a lot now!" Has the implication that you won't be loving the person a lot forever. So for this reason, it's not very common to use love in the progressive form.

One instance when you can use love in the progressive form is when you don't think the love will continue.

"I'm loving the life out here in Las Vegas." Can mean that you are having a great time in Las Vegas, but you don't think the feelings will continue forever. (It's fun now, but after a few months it'll get boring, etc.) OR you won't be in Las Vegas for long.

Hope this helps! Remember not to profess your love in the progressive!

rj1948 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takezo View Post
    Venkatasu had the right idea when he said: "I'm happy and I'm loving my life now." The present progressive is usually used for temporary actions. (Things that don't continue for a long time). So the sentence "I'm happy and I love my life." is different than: "I'm happy and I'm loving my life."

I'm happy and I love my life. (present simple)
    This has the nuance that things usually go well and you don't expect anything bad to happen.

I'm happy and I'm loving my life. (present progressive)
    This sounds like bad things have happened before, but for right now, things are going well. It sounds like things might change in the future though.

People usually don't use love in the progressive form, because it is temporary. For example:
    "I'm loving you a lot now!" Has the implication that you won't be loving the person a lot forever. So for this reason, it's not very common to use love in the progressive form.

One instance when you can use love in the progressive form is when you don't think the love will continue.

"I'm loving the life out here in Las Vegas." Can mean that you are having a great time in Las Vegas, but you don't think the feelings will continue forever. (It's fun now, but after a few months it'll get boring, etc.) OR you won't be in Las Vegas for long.

Hope this helps! Remember not to profess your love in the progressive!
    I'm happy and I'm loving my life-I'm enjoing my life.
    I'm having ny lunch.-taking lunch/eating.
    I'm seeing her tomorrow.-will see.

Regards,\rj1948.

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from 'temporary vs. permanent', stative verbs used in continuous forms may also indicate a greater intensity of feeling.
    Cf.: I miss her very much, almost every minute of the day I think of her, or I think I am hearing her.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, the McDonald's strap-line ('I'm loving it') is hard to explain. Taking the less cynical view, it could be meant to suggest that any time (like now) is appropriate for thowing away your money on their uniquely tasteless combination of obesity and mal-nutrition, with a side-order of CO2-wastage and dodgy hygiene; on the other hand, it could just be the work of a non-native speaker (the fast-food racket tends to exploit immigrants, so that the language of fast food is littered with faux amis: a friend of my son's (a native speaker) told be that one of his duties was referred to - by everyone in the business, not just by some Spanish-speaker who was misled by poner la mesa - as "putting the table').

b

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Incidentally, the McDonald's strap-line ('I'm loving it') is hard to explain.
    b
    Do you think it could mean 'a greater intensity of feeling' I mentioned in the post above?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast