• Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Chinese Rural Environment (2)

Hi! Could anyone help proofread this? It is my translation only, which is not involved with my viewpoint. Thanks in advance!

First, pollution of chemical fertilizers and pesticides is substantial meanwhile white pollution becomes a new trend. Modern agriculture overly replies itself on chemical fertilizers, pesticides, weedicide, insecticide and agricultural membrane. The environmental pollution comes on the back of food increase. On the average chemical fertilizers applied in China’s arable land are 434.3 kg/hectare, which is 1.93 times over its safe upper limit, but the utility rate is merely 40%. The application of pesticides is 13.4 kg/ hectare generally, 70% of them is high poisonous, and 60-70% leftover remains in the soil. Now the countryside becomes a killing field. Horrendous pesticides are applied everywhere from orchards, vegetable gardens to farms. And the planting of anti-season vegetables aggravates the abuse of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Apart from regular crops, such as corn and wheat, agricultural membrane is applied in all productions of peanut, cotton, garlic, water melons, cucumber, tobacco, celery, etc, almost without an exception. Five hundred thousand tons of agricultural membrane is required annually, the rememnant rate is as high as 40%. White pollution is rampant in China’s countryside. In an addition, livestock’s excretion is also a grim problem. The volumn of the excretion is more than 2 times that of the industry solid waste, and even 4 times in some provinces.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 17-Jun-2008 at 05:40. Reason: an translation->my translation

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Chinese Rural Environment (2)

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! Could anyone help proofread this? It is an translation only, which is not involved with my viewpoint. Thanks in advance!

First, pollution by chemical fertilizers and pesticides is substantial. Meanwhile white pollution becomes a new trend. Modern agriculture overly relies on chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, insecticide [same as pesticide] and agricultural membrane. The environmental pollution comes on the back of food increase. On average, chemical fertilizers are applied to China’s arable land at a rate of 434.3 kg/hectare, which is 1.93 times over its safe upper limit, but the utility rate is merely 40%. The application of pesticides is 13.4 kg/ hectare generally; 70% of them are [pesticides = plural] highly poisonous, and 60-70% residue remains in the soil. Now the countryside becomes a killing field. Horrendous pesticides are applied everywhere from orchards and vegetable gardens to farms. And the planting of out-of-season vegetables aggravates the abuse of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Apart from regular crops, such as corn and wheat, agricultural membrane is applied in the production of peanuts, cotton, garlic, water melons, cucumber, tobacco, celery, etc, almost without an exception. Five hundred thousand tons of agricultural membrane is required annually; the rate of remnants is as high as 40%. White pollution is rampant in China’s countryside. In an addition, livestock’s excretion is also a grim problem. The volume of the excretion is more than twice that of industrial solid waste, and in some provinces is four times more.
    [Why don't they gather this, turn it into manure and fertilize the fields with that? Then it is no longer a grim problem ]

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Chinese Rural Environment (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    [Why don't they gather this, turn it into manure and fertilize the fields with that? Then it is no longer a grim problem ]
    Dear Anglika,

Thank you very much for your proofread. I want to know this too. I grew up in a small city and am not very into countryside. Chinese peasants are not equivalents to Western farmers. Yes, I use "peasant" rather than "farmer". Many of them just have the education of junior high school; and some even are less educated. I suppose they are incapable of dealing with that by themselves. Though the situation is sad but true, and Chinese peasants have been making progress in comparison with past decades. Roman was not built in one day. I sorely hope our government will step up its efforts to improve China's environment.

Best Regards!
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 17-Jun-2008 at 05:22.