• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would a native speaker kindly check this short passage for me?

Hi! I found the following passage in a test paper and don’t think it good writing. Would any native speaker please check the passage and point out the problems in it and correct whatever mistakes exist? Thank you very much.
    P.S.: I think the story in it stands for a allegory rather than a proverb. Am I right?

Chinese proverbs are rich and they are still widely used in Chinese people’s daily life. Behind these proverbs there are often interesting stories. For example, the proverb, “plucking up a crop to help it grow”, is based on the following story.
    It is said that a short—tempered man in the Song Dynasty (960—1279) was very anxious to help his rice crop grow up quickly. He was thinking about this day and night. But the crop was growing much slower than he expected.
    One day, he came up with an idea that he would pluck up all of his crop a few inches. He did so the next day.
    He was very tired after doing this for a whole day, but he felt very happy since the crop did “grow” higher.
    His son heard about this and went to see the crop. Unfortunately the leaves of the crop began to wither.
    This proverb is saying we have to let things go in their natural course. Being too anxious to help an event develop often results in the contrary to our intention.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would a native speaker kindly check this short passage for me?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ting View Post
    Hi! I found the following passage in a test paper and don’t think it good writing. Would any native speaker please check the passage and point out the problems in it and correct whatever mistakes exist? Thank you very much.
    P.S.: I think the story in it stands for a allegory rather than a proverb. Am I right?

Chinese proverbs are rich and they are still widely used in Chinese people’s daily life. Behind these proverbs there are often interesting stories. For example, the proverb, “plucking pulling up a crop to help it grow”, is based on the following story.
    It is said that a short-tempered man in the Song Dynasty (960—1279) was very anxious to help his rice crop grow up quickly. He was thinking thought about this day and night. But as the crop rice was growing much slower than he expected.
    One day, he came up with an idea that he would pluck up pull up all of his crop a few inches. He did so the next day. He was very tired after doing this for a whole day, but he felt very happy since the crop rice seemed to “grow” higher.
    His son heard about this and went to see the rice. Unfortunately the leaves of the crop began to wither.It had all wilted and died.
    This proverb is saying that we have to let things go intake their natural course. Being too anxious to help an event develop often results in the contrary to our intention.has results contrary to expectation.

It could certainly be improved.

John Ting is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would a native speaker kindly check this short passage for me?

Thank you so much, Anglika!