laetibedout is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face my essay need a correction

hello,
    I've written an essay for my TEFL class, but I'm not sure it is perfect. could someone help me? the subject is "eliciting information", and this is my essay :

To be efficient, a teacher has to avoid excessive teacher talking time in his class, and elicits information from their students as often as possible. As a matter of fact, he has to let their students express what they know about a topic to empower their confidence and improve their communication skills. To elicit information from the students the teacher has to use various methods to keep the lesson playful and interesting:

1 - to climb:
    First, to elicit information on this word, I will ask each of my students about their hobbies and let them develop their own answer. If one of them tells me about sports, I will ask him if he knows other words of the sport vocabulary. And, I will ask the class to complete the list. If nobody pronounces the target word, I will do it and ask the students if they know what it means.

2 - to make a decision:
    I will use almost the same approach that for the first word, providing stimulus to the students on the subject. I will ask them what they intend to do after their graduation or which career they have chosen. If they are certain of their choice and if they have already made their decision. I would write the idiom on the board going on speaking of the topic with the students.

3 - to apologize
    I will try to find a comic strip that represents characters in a situation that involves apologize. I will leave a blank in the balloon in which the character says the word. I will let them play the scene and find the word by themselves.

4 - a pineapple
    Depending on the age or level of my students, I will use a game like a crossword with other fruit names or I will show pictures of fruits with the younger ones.

5 - a tape dispenser
    I will come in the classroom with a tape dispenser and ask the students if someone knows what it is. I will write the word on the board and question them about the way to use it. I could approach other topics like comparatives, cheap and expensive or others, depending on my learning aims.

6 - to adjoin
    I will draw two adjoined houses on the board and ask the students to tell me what they see. If they don’t find the good word, I will tell them, and write it on the board. Then, I will ask them to find other examples to verify their comprehension and enable them to practice on this word.

7 - jittery
    I will ask them to give me synonyms of “nervous” to see whether someone knows the word or not. After that, I will ask them if they have ever been jittery before and let them speak about their experience.

8 – a leopard
    I will give the students clues to the students to help them to guess the word leopard. I will ask them for example if they know a fast African feline with black spots. They will probably find the word very quickly and give other animal names.

9 – to crush
    I will show a text where the word is written, and ask the students to explain me the meaning of the sentence an then of this word. It would be interesting to ask them to write about other uses of the word to verify their comprehension, and their capacity to make a correct use of the word.

10 – a sign
    I will probably mime a sign or show some of sign language to let them find the word. In a second time, I will ask them to find other definitions of this word and examples for each one.

All the approaches of eliciting information are efficient in condition that the teacher asks a question in order to enable the students to give opinions, ideas or share knowledge. Many materials can be use to help the teacher in the eliciting information process like pictures, books or movies. Nowadays, the students could be more receptive to multimedia tools to improve their communication skills. The use of a CD ROM or Internet could be very efficient to learn them new words, idioms or grammatical structures. It is a very interactive way to learn and a good means to improve independent learning process.

thank you for your help

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: my essay need a correction

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by laetibedout View Post
    hello,
    I've written an essay for my TEFL class, but I'm not sure it is perfect. could someone help me? the subject is "eliciting information", and this is my essay :

To be efficient, a teacher has to avoid excessive teacher talking time in his class, and elicits information from their students as often as possible.[agreement of subject, verb and object required] As a matter of fact, he has to let their students express what they know about a topic to empower their confidence and improve their communication skills. To elicit information from the students the teacher has to use various methods to keep the lesson playful and interesting:

1 - To climb:
    First, to elicit information on this word, I will ask each of my students about their hobbies and let them develop their own answer. If one of them tells me about sports, I will ask him if he knows other words of the sport vocabulary. I will ask the class to complete the list. If nobody pronounces the target word, I will do it and ask the students if they know what it means.

2 - To make a decision:
    I will use almost the same approach as that for the first word, providing stimulus to the students on the subject. I will ask them what they intend to do after their graduation or which career they have chosen. If they are certain of their choice and if they have already made their decision. I would [tense shift] write the idiom on the board, going on speaking of the topic with the students.

3 - To apologize
    I will try to find a comic strip that represents characters in a situation that involves apology. I will leave a blank in the balloon in which the character says the word. I will let them play the scene and find the word by themselves.

4 - A pineapple
    Depending on the age or level of my students, I will use a game like a crossword with other fruit names; I will show pictures of fruits to the younger ones.

5 - A tape dispenser
    I will come into the classroom with a tape dispenser and ask the students if someone knows what it is. I will write the word on the board and question them about the way to use it. I could approach other topics like comparatives, cheap and expensive or others, depending on my learning aims.

6 - To adjoin
    I will draw two adjoined houses on the board and ask the students to tell me what they see. If they don’t find the good [right/proper/suitable/correct] word, I will tell them what it is, and write it on the board. Then I will ask them to find other examples to verify their comprehension and enable them to practice on this word.

7 - Jittery
    I will ask them to give me synonyms of “nervous” to see whether someone knows the word or not. After that, I will ask them if they have ever been jittery before and let them speak about their experience.

8 – A leopard
    I will give the students clues to the students ??? to help them to guess the word "leopard". I will ask them for example if they know a fast African feline with black spots. They will probably find the word very quickly and give other animal names.

9 – To crush
    I will show a text where the word is written, and ask the students to explain the meaning of the sentence and then of this word. It would be interesting to ask them to write about other uses of the word to verify their comprehension, and their capacity to make a correct use of the word.

10 – A sign
    I will probably mime a sign or show some images of sign language to let them find the word. Another time, I will ask them to find other definitions of this word and examples for each one.

All the approaches of eliciting information are efficient in condition providing that the teacher asks a question in order to enable the students to give opinions, ideas or share knowledge. Many materials can be used to help the teacher in the eliciting information process, like pictures, books or movies. Nowadays, students could be more receptive to using multimedia tools to improve their communication skills. The use of a CD ROM or the Internet could be very efficient effective to learn [!!!] to teach them new words, idioms or grammatical structures. It is a very interactive way to learn and a good means to improve independent learning process.

thank you for your help