• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default loads of different speakers

Dear teachers,

We are faced with learning a new meaning of the term “load”. After the last very interesting for me “loads of laundry” I am prepared for anything.

Would you be kind enough explain to me the meaning of the word “load” in the expression in bold of the following sentence?

Just a week ago I was at our Coaches and Consultants Cash-Creation Superconference; a three day event with loads of different speakers all sharing their ideas on how to be even more successful in the ‘advice-professionals’ field.

And...

Our keynote speaker was none other than James Caan – the latest member of the now famous BBC TV programme: Dragons’ Den.

Let’s make it quite clear. The mentioned above “different speakers” in this instance have nothing to do with the “different speakers” in the next sentence. “This is why amplifiers can sound so different with different speakers. ...”. I am sure, in this instance, is speaking of “speaker” = a person who makes speeches, one who delivers a public speech. Then “load” have to be the end product of speeching for example speech,presentation, expose,…

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

hotmetal is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: loads of different speakers

Brit native, not a teacher.

Hi Vil.

In the sentence you quote, "loads of different speakers" means "many people giving verbal presentations".

In your audio based example, the phrase "loads of different speakers" would mean the "varying electrical impedance offered to an amplifier by different loudspeakers". I know that was not the original sentence, I just wanted to highlight that the same group of words would have entirely different meanings in the two different contexts. In presenting terms, a speaker is somebody who speaks, and in audio terms, the word "speaker" is actually an informal abbreviation for "loudspeaker".
    "Loads" is often used to mean "much or many". In technical electrical or engineering contexts it means something quite different.

Hope that helps.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotmetal View Post

Hi Vil.

In the sentence you quote, "loads of different speakers" means "many people giving verbal presentations".

In your audio based example, the phrase "loads of different speakers" would mean the "varying electrical impedance offered to an amplifier by different loudspeakers". I know that was not the original sentence, I just wanted to highlight that the same group of words would have entirely different meanings in the two different contexts. In presenting terms, a speaker is somebody who speaks, and in audio terms, the word "speaker" is actually an informal abbreviation for "loudspeaker".
    "Loads" is often used to mean "much or many". In technical electrical or engineering contexts it means something quite different.

Hope that helps.
    That is a very good explanation hotmetal.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 17-Jun-2008 at 18:59. Reason: typo

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hotmetal,

Thank you for your prompt reply as well as for your inclusive explanation.

Regards.

V.

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi bhaisahab,

Thank you for your unceasing interest to my investigations.

Regards.

V.

Post Thanks / Like

loads of = lots of, a lot of

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotmetal View Post

Hi Vil.

Hope that helps.

I am not a Prof.

As an ex electronic engineer, I can say that the word 'load' in electronic terms, is the amount of impedance that is applied to your circuit. It does not describe the physical characteristics of electricity, but the quantity borne. Just as talking about the number of passengers on a bus has nothing to do with describing the mechanics of a bus.

I believe the use of the word "load" in electrics is no different from any other use. I believe the following to be true, comments ?

load = "the quantity borne or sustained by something"

In the case of the conference the 'something' would likely be the bus or aircraft. The 'quantity borne', the number of speakers on board.

"There was a load of a speaker at the conference". Means there was a single bus that carried a single speaker to the conference.

"There was a load of speakers at the conference". Means there was a single bus that carried many speakers to the conference.

"There were loads of speakers at the conference". Means there were many buses BUT many could have been empty. But we do know that there were many speakers at the conference.

In the case of the amplifier and audio speakers it is no different. The amplifier is the 'something'. The 'quantity' borne, the number of speakers connected to it.

"There was a load of a speaker at the conference". Means there was a single amplifier connected to a single speaker.

"There was a load of speakers at the conference". Means there was a single amplifier connected to many speakers.

"There were loads of speakers at the conference". Means there were many amplifiers BUT many could have no speakers connected . But we do know that there were many speakers at the conference.

I believe the word "load" can be used when any object sustains/carries another.

The bus sustains the speakers.

The amplifier sustains the speakers.

I have been known to be, oh so very wrong, comments welcome.
    Last edited by Methuselah; 17-Jun-2008 at 23:30.

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I am not a Prof.

"There was a load of speakers at the conference". Means there was a single amplifier connected to many speakers.

"There were loads of speakers at the conference". Means there were many amplifiers BUT many could have no speakers connected . But we do know that there were many speakers at the conference.
    I'm not a professional teacher, but as a native speaker, I agree with bhaisahab on this one. The most likely and natural understanding of the phrase "there was a load of speakers at the conference" or "there were loads of speakers at the conference" would be referring to the number of human orators who spoke, not the number of amplifiers present. When used in conection with the word "conference" I think almost every native English speaker would automatically assume that the word "speaker" was being used of humans making audible utterances, unless specfically indicated otherwise.

"There were loads of speakers at the conference. Some of them were boring, so I started counting the speakers hanging on the walls"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    I'm not a professional teacher, but as a native speaker, I agree with bhaisahab on this one. The most likely and natural understanding of the phrase "there was a load of speakers at the conference" or "there were loads of speakers at the conference" would be referring to the number of human orators who spoke, not the number of amplifiers present. When used in conection with the word "conference" I think almost every native English speaker would automatically assume that the word "speaker" was being used of humans making audible utterances, unless specfically indicated otherwise.

"There were loads of speakers at the conference. Some of them were boring, so I started counting the speakers hanging on the walls"
    I believe you are correct in how it would be most likely interpreted in the context of a conference, but I was referring to HotMetal's statement;

It means the same thing, and can be used in the same way as you would with bus loads of speakers attending a conference, or truck loads of tomato's in your supermarket.
    Last edited by Methuselah; 18-Jun-2008 at 10:11.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I believe you are correct in how it would be most likely interpreted in the context of a conference, but I was referring to bhaisahab's statement;

It means the same thing, and can be used in the same way as you would with bus loads of speakers attending a conference, or truck loads of tomato's in your supermarket.
    While it is quite flattering to have ones name pronounced so often, for the sake of accuracy, my only post on this thread was, "That is a very good explanation hotmetal." in response to hotmetal's post. In the previous thread, that vil referred to, my posts were to tell nefertiti that in the context of her question "a load" referred to the capacity of a washing machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast