• Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

arts/Art

The sentences:

The subjects we study at school can be divided roughly into two groups: the sciences and the arts. The purpose of education is to fit us for life in a civilized community, and it seems to follow from the subjects we study that the two most important things in civilized life are Art and Science.

About "the arts/Art", does that mean anything artistic only, like music and painting?

My book says "yes", but I don't think so; it includes all humanities like psychology, sociology, philosophy...whatever.

Well, my dictionary says when it means humanities, it has to be art s. But then, what about the singular form with capital A?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    With the capital, I wouldn't take it as humanities- it would be paintings and statues.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    With the capital, I wouldn't take it as humanities- it would be paintings and statues.
    Then, do you think even in the same paragraph the arts means humanities whereas Art only painting and the like?

Plus, are the two most important things in civilized life, the subjecs we study at school, only paintings and satues things and sciences? Where are English, literature...?