• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please correct my writing.

Dear sirs,
    please correct my writing grammartically and logically. thanks a lot.

Stop the Habit of Book Collecting

Most of us believe that book buying and collecting are good habits, but I finally found it's wrong. We have wasted our time, money and energy on this habit, and it's unlikely bring us what we want. What's the benefit of reading books? Getting informating, improve wisdom, or entertains the reader could be the answers, however, all of thease benefit depend on a simple truth that we have enough time to read it. We have bought so many books that we parctically have no time to read them in our rest life. For instance, I have 268 books on my bookshelf, and every book has average 205 pages. The sum of all pages are about 54,940. My reading rate is about 20 minutes per page, therefor, it will cost 1,098,800 minutes, which equal to 18,313 hours, to read all my books. If I read 2 hours a day, so I need 9,156 days, which means 25 years, to finish reading the books I bought. therotically, it's unecessary for me to buy new book at least in futur 25 years. My time, like money, energy and interesting, are limited, so, I must give up the poor habit of book collecting.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Please correct my writing.

Hi Vincent!
    You require grammatical as well as logical correction of your writing. First let me try to correct logically.

First of all no body can believe that greatest scientists like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Alfred Nobel and greatest thinkers like Aristotle, Max More, U.G. Krishnamurthy are fools and done wrong to the society. They have read extensively to acquire knowledge and wisdom. They had utilized their knowledge to do immense good to the society. Can you ignore the Theory of relativity, The laws of gravity and the Nobel prize? All have written several books and thousands of books have been also written on their works and life history. How many books you have got on them within the 268 books purchased by you? If you have read any one of those books, you might have moved in the path of knowledge and could not have this type of conflict within you. For Knowledge is the Power.I quote here one sentence from the writings of U.G. Krishnamurthy “When the movement in the direction of becoming something other than what you are isn't there any more, you are not in conflict with yourself."
    So if you can acquire knowledge, you will be something other than what you are now. To acquire knowledge you must develop your mind. To develop your mind you must read good things/books and listen to teachers/other learned people. Reading and listining are inputs to your mind which delivers in the form of Knowledge. And what a wonderful thing is the Knowledge? If you have money and you share with some one, it gets reduced. But if you have Knowledge which you share with others it gets expanded. Great men like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton have shared their knowledge with society and became immortal. Here in this Forum we are getting advice from expert teachers without paying anything but the teachers, by sharing their knowledge with us are expanding their knowledge and surely in return getting pleasure and happiness.
    Don’t you want happiness in life? Then you must move in the path of knowledge and read good books as many as you can. Now after reading this if you still want grammatical correction of your writing, please let me know. I shall do it without the slightest hesitation.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 22-Jun-2008 at 05:02.

vincent@20n110e is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please correct my writing.

Thanks a lot for sharing me your opinion. I have some questions letterly, before that, could you correct my writting, grammatically.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Please correct my writing.

Stop the Habit of Collecting Books

Most of us believe that buying and collecting books are good habits but I finally found it to be wrong. We have wasted our time, money and energy on this habit and it's unlikely to bring/give us what we want. What's the benefit of reading books? Getting information, improving wisdom, or entertaining the readers could be some of the answers. However, all of these benefits depend on the simple truth that we have enough time to read books. We have bought so many books that practically we might not have time to read them in rest of our lives. For instance, I have 268 books on my bookshelf, and every book has an average 205 pages. The
    sum and total of all pages come to about 54,940. My reading rate is about 20 minutes per page. Therefore, it will take/cost 1,098,800 minutes, which equal to 18,313 hours, to read all my books. If I read 2 hours a day, I need 9,156 days, which means 25 years, to finish reading all the books I have bought. Theoretically, it's unnecessary for me to buy new books at least for the next 25 years. My time, like money, energy and interest are limited, so, I must give up the poor/undesirable habit of collecting books.

New words used are highlighted. Alternative words are also suggested with a (/) mark.