Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

seba_870701 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Seba, I just noticed that you are from Poland.
    From time to time I check the student blog in the bbc learning English site. It's where learners of English have permission to post whatever they want for an entire month for one person. This month's blogger is a Polish guy. I must really say that I'm fascinated with his very good English. Take a look:(His name is LuKasz):
    BBC World Service | Learning English | Learning English Student Blog
    My personal observation about the Polish learners of English is that we can be divided into 2 groups:
    - those who learn the language in state schools only because it's mandatory,
    - and those who become passionate about the English.
    The first group, of cource, does not advance much in mastery of the language. They are able to say simple greetings and ask about the time.
    However, the latter one usually ends up as native-like speakers. We lack the middle group who could speak relatively good but not necessary at university level. Fortunately, the situation gradually improves in that respect.
    By the way: the pronunciation of the bloger is 'woo-kash' with the first syllable stressed.
    S~

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    By the way: the pronunciation of the bloger is 'woo-kash' with the first syllable stressed.
    S~
    Please explain a bit what do you mean!!
    The classification you made, I think it's appropriate to all foreign learners. I think Seba belongs to the second range, right!! Ok, by the way, me too.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to share that curiosity with you. Not many people know how to pronunce foreign names.

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh , ok! I get it now. In Polish we pronounce the "lu"; "woo"!!! Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, this is an overgeneralization, but it is my fault! I must have forgotten to add that the guy - Łukasz - didn't spell his name correctly in the link you provided. In the international use we drop Polish diacritic marks such as the horizontal line in Ł - he instead wrote L. I'm used to that and I didn't notice that he wrote normal L in his name.. sorry! Using Polish font it is normally spelled Łukasz. And Ł is indeed pronounced as W in English. Hence, we have Woo-kash.
    Once again, sorry for that misinforming you!

S~

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ok Seba. Thanks for the clarifivation.

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's tear View Post
    Englishbaby.com is good for u.
    I've checked it before but honestly I don't like it. It seems to me to be impolite. Anyway thanks for sharing.

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just listening to some beautiful tips regarding effective listening and therefore correct pronounciation.
    Here are some from what I remember:
    1)It's particulary good to choose a person you enjoy listening too or you want to sound like, and listen frequently to them.
    2)While listening; notice how the English intonation goes up and down inorder to show attitude or to turn taking.
    3)Try to pay close attention to the way the speaker use contraction, you will see that it's well used and therefore if you want to sound more natural you have to adapt that way.

That's all for today, I wrote them in my manner; if you don't understand something then just ask!

I want to know from you, learners as well as teachers, what do you think about the above tips?? Do you think they are effective? Could you suggess more!
    Let's discuss
    Sara

Post Thanks / Like

You can also try to follow after the recording and repeat what the person says (trying keep his/her pace of speaking). It is then called shadowing - good and effective technique, but I personally find it somewhat tiresome..

Post Thanks / Like

From my point of view, we can work out from different positions. There is an old effective way to teach to swim - just throw some one into deep water
    Pseudopod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast