Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: An idiom


    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 19
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    An idiom

    I have seen the idiom 'lick and promise'.Could someone tell me how to use it in a sentence?

  1. Kraken's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 333
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: An idiom

    A superficial effort made without care or enthusiasm. For example, I haven't time to do a good job of vacuuming, just enough for a lick and a promise. This expression is believed to allude to the quick lick a cat or other animal might give itself and a promise to do more or better at some future time.

    from answers.com.


    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 19
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    A superficial effort made without care or enthusiasm. For example, I haven't time to do a good job of vacuuming, just enough for a lick and a promise. This expression is believed to allude to the quick lick a cat or other animal might give itself and a promise to do more or better at some future time.

    from answers.com.
    Thanks.How to use this in a sentence?
    R-

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram100 View Post
    I have seen the idiom 'lick and promise'.Could someone tell me how to use it in a sentence?
    It is 'a lick and a promise' .

    "Yes.I did some cleaning.Gave the bookshelves a lick and a promise.When you say that you mean you did it hurriedly.You didn't do a good job of it."
    Source :The Hindu.
    Regards,
    rj1948.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    It is 'a lick and a promise' .

    "Yes.I did some cleaning.Gave the bookshelves a lick and a promise.When you say that you mean you did it hurriedly.You didn't do a good job of it."
    Source :The Hindu.
    Regards,
    rj1948.
    You know, it is a very cool idiom; I've just never heard it before.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    You know, it is a very cool idiom; I've just never heard it before.
    A lick and a promise.
    www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-lick-and-a -promise.html
    www.phrases.org.uk/meanings

    www.answers.com/topic/a-lick-a-promise
    REGARDS,

    RJ1948.
    Last edited by rj1948; 22-Jun-2008 at 16:08.

  3. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    Ah, I see. It's British English. Thanks.

  4. Kraken's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 333
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: An idiom

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram100 View Post
    Thanks.How to use this in a sentence?
    R-


    Originally Posted by Kraken
    I haven't time to do a good job of vacuuming, just enough for a lick and a promise.

Similar Threads

  1. Idiom formation via transliteration
    By cohen.izzy in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2008, 09:05
  2. Idiom help
    By parag.deorukhkar@gmail.co in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2007, 03:26
  3. More depth would improve idiom explanations
    By Mel Malinowski in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2006, 02:30
  4. Idiom: Raining Frogs
    By Rob in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2005, 19:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •