plato is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

requesting for help

Hello, everyone.
    I was asked to teach English to preschool children, but I do not know how to start!
    Could you please help me with any advise?

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: requesting for help

Hello, everyone.
    I was asked to teach English to preschool children, but I do not know how to start!
    Could you please help me with any advice?

Use music. Get English version nursery rhymes or sing-along music.

Learning the names of favority foods works, also.

Post Thanks / Like

Understand that children's brains at that age are like sponges, soaking it all up. And children love repetition - it's comforting to them -(that's why they can watch the same videos over and over with the same delight.)

All this works in your favour. You can teach vocabulary, and fluent speech, the same way native speaks learn.
    Do you have an off-sider? That would help when it comes to demonstrating 'my'.
    It's a 'What is my name game." Each child writes his/her name on a sticky label and sticks it on their front.
    Teacher: My name is xx (each word pronounced slowly)
    (with a quizzical expression, and a surprise turn to one of the children and a big smile) "What is your name?" (pointing to the child)
    The child does not understand
    (Then, sudden realization by teacher- point to their sticky label then point again to the child) -
    "Your name is yy" - (teacher very delighted with self)
    And here's where the off-sided comes in handy. You do the same to the off-sider, but this time, the off-sided points to his/her label when asked the question, then points to self and says, "My name is zz." Teacher: "My name is xxx. Your name is zz. Hello! zz"
    Then with more of the class.
    Then get the class to repeat the sentences rote a number of times as a group.
    Then get the children to do with each other what the teacher and off-sider have been doing, changing parts - acting first as the teacher, then the off-sider.
    You can then expand on this, introducing words like 'come' and go'. 'sit' and 'stand' and just keep building.
    Do it to made-up music that has a solid beat eg ///
    (singing) - I can sit. I can stand. I can clap.
    Teacher: "What can qq do?" (pointing at qq) and qq sings and acts one of the actions they have learned.
    One child points to another and says, "ww can...jump.' and ww says, "I can jump" and does so, etc
    Introduce she, he as in :She can sit" etc etc
    Last edited by David L.; 23-Jun-2008 at 00:42.

ESLArtist is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Plato,

Suzie and David had some great advice. I would say, in my experience of Kindergarteners at the beginning of the school year (which are hopefully comparable to preschoolers), that doing a read-aloud to them with a nice picture book always was popular. David is right that kids respond well to repetition. This is especially helpful to English learners who can follow the pattern of repetitive stories (think Green Eggs and Ham, but something even simpler for preschoolers) because they are REALLY EXCITED when they can start participating in the story as well, since they already know what's coming next. My co-worker read a story with a song in it one week, and the next week in the classroom, the kids kept singing it to her and begging for her to read it again. Reading it over and over is not a waste of time, either. The kids will find the book interesting for as long as it brings enjoyment and new learning to them... never bad to reinforce knowledge.

Also, I sang "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes" with a third grader who didn't know any English, just to teach her the names of some body parts. She was singing and doing the whole thing herself by the end of a 40-minute block, and she didn't want to stop. That would probably also be great. Anything with dancing and singing.

Good luck!