• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default proper

Hi there,

I would like to know if you have ever heard the words -properness- and -in conformance with-, because I've looked them up in all dictionaries I've got and couldnt find them. But they are written in a report I'm reading..
    If you know them, could you please give me synonyms?

Thank you

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: proper

In conformance with something is a standard phrase to indicate that something matches a directive. See: http://www.onelook.com/?w=conformance&ls=a

...the need for all departments to produce procedure documents in conformance with BS5750

"Properness" is not a word I have ever met and I suspect is something someone has made up. Can you provide the context in which you found it?

carla guaraldi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

" and shall develop systems as described below to ensure the properness of operations of the company and to raise the quality of corporate governance."

And there is something else I was not able to understand could you help?

" And shall clearly designate divisions having authority for the management of business operations of subsidiary companies and education in FURTHERANCE THEREOF; The company shall also establish rocedures for determining matters of importance affecting subsidiary companies."

Do you know the meaning of furtherance thereof???
    Thankks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    " and shall develop systems as described below to ensure the properness of operations of the company and to raise the quality of corporate governance."
    It's a word that has been made up. What the writer wants to say is "to ensure the correctness of the company's operations"

And there is something else I was not able to understand could you help?

" And shall clearly designate divisions having authority for the management of business operations of subsidiary companies and education in FURTHERANCE THEREOF; The company shall also establish procedures for determining matters of importance affecting subsidiary companies."

Do you know the meaning of furtherance thereof??? It means the advancement of a previous mentioned scheme/plan.

This sentence is a pretentious way of saying "Divisions within the company shall have authority to manage the business operations in subsidiary companies, and be educated in how to achieve this aim".

Thankks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

'properness' is listed in a few dictionaries. Like Anglika, if (before your post) I had heard someone use this word, I would have understood what they meant but think they were coining it for the comic effect of appearing haughty, as if mimicky and mocking someone who is a strict adherent to etiquette. eg
    "The bride's mother insists on having a strictly traditional wedding, with the traditional banns, traditional vows ...you name it. She is very conscious of the 'properness' of these occasions...God, you'd think royalty was going to be packing the front pews the way she carries on!"
    Good old Roget gives this:
    PROPERNESS
    Main Entry: decency
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: Conformity to recognized standards, as of conduct or appearance.
    Synonyms: comeliness, correctness, decentness, decorousness, decorum, propriety, respectability, respectableness, seemliness.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Roget shows it - looking at the BNC, the only entries are from a discussion in a legal journal about legislation in which the phrase "fitness and properness" is used, and is cited in quotation marks.

I don't think I would advise someone to use it