emonroy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Statement Of Purpose - Phd Scholarship Application

Hi everyone:

This is my first post, I have read the Forum rules and so on, so I hope I would not make any mistake (Is this construction correct?, I think it is subjunctive, I always have problems with that!).

Could you please help me to check my Statement of Purpose? This is for a Norwegian University.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-------

Dear Mr. XX:

As you can see from my CV, all of my academic and professional experiences have been related with telecommunications and data networks and applications. Thus, my research interests are focused in these areas, in topics like QoS, traffic engineering, traffic modeling, protocols optimization in wireless networks (4G cellular network, next generation WLAN and WMAN, mesh networking, sensors networks and so forth) or fixed networks technologies and protocols (for instance, advanced network protocols for Next Generation Networks). The ideal research topic for me would be aimed at carrying out deep analysis of network protocols issues in layer 2, 3 or 4 of the OSI Model, making use of theoretical and simulation/test-bed tools.

However, these are just preliminary ideas about my research interests. I do not have any specific topic in mind yet, which gives me enough flexibility to select my specific research topic from a range of options within those broad areas. In fact, I am aware that the research interests of the XX research group include topics very similar to my own interests, as in the case of, for instance, XX and XX projects.

My main academic goal in pursuing a PhD degree is to gain the abilities needed to allow me to become an international-level researcher with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in my research area. Therefore, I would like to study, for example, advanced topics in mathematics, simulation, wireless networks and QoS topics, all related to my research interests. As part of my research work, I would also like to be able to bring forth contributions and technical proposals in standardization groups (like IEEE or IETF) in a related area of my research. Regarding that, a highly desirable goal of my research would be to develop a new module or framework for an open-source simulation software to be used during my research and shared with the research community, so that they can benefit from it, I can receive their feedback and finally, it can become a community-supported project. This is one of the things that makes me passionate about a PhD: sharing knowledge and ideas and having discussed them with peers and colleagues.

As my CV indicates, I have worked in several Colombian companies for more than five years. I think that this professional experience in the industry is a big plus for me to succeed in my PhD, because I have acquired a set of very important “soft” abilities, crucial when it comes to work in business environments, but also very important in academic and research activities.

Finally, as you may know, my home country, Colombia, has been struggling with many problems during the last decades, even though it is a very beautiful country with plenty of good, smart and hardworking people. I think that one of the better ways to help to overcome these difficulties is through education, and, in particular, high-level research and development (in Colombia, statistics related to R&D such as the number of PhDs per inhabitants, or R&D investment, are much lower than they should be). To do so, I can think of no better place to go than a country such as Norway, one of the most technologically advanced societies (for instance, there is very high broadband and mobile penetration and internet usage) with the highest quality of life in the world (from 2001 to 2006, based on the UN’s Human Development Index, second in 2007). Combine that with the possibility to study in the most prestigious university in Norway and one of the most renowned in Europe in an open-minded, culturally diverse environment, and the result is clear: the best place to work hard to achieve my goals.

I am very confident that you will agree with me about my potential to become a member of your research group. I look forward to hearing from you about my application, or if you require any additional information.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Statement Of Purpose - Phd Scholarship Application

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by emonroy View Post
    Hi everyone:

This is my first post, I have read the Forum rules and so on, so I hope I do not make any mistake (Is this construction correct?, I think it is subjunctive, I always have problems with that!).

Could you please help me to check my Statement of Purpose? This is for a Norwegian University.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-------

Dear Mr. XX:

As you can see from my CV, all of my academic and professional experiences have been related with are concerned with/are related to the study of telecommunications and data networks and applications. My research interests are focused in these areas, in topics like QoS, traffic engineering, traffic modeling, protocols optimization in wireless networks (4G cellular network, next generation WLAN and WMAN, mesh networking, sensors networks and so forth) or fixed networks technologies and protocols (for instance, advanced network protocols for Next Generation Networks). The ideal research topic for me would be aimed at carrying out deep analysis of network protocols issues in layer 2, 3 or 4 of the OSI Model, making use of theoretical and simulation/test-bed tools.

However, these are just preliminary ideas about my research interests. I do not have any specific topic in mind yet, which gives me enough flexibility to select my specific research topic from a range of options within those broad areas. In fact, I am aware that the research interests of the XX research group include topics very similar to my own interests, as in the case of, for instance, XX and XX projects.

My main academic goal in pursuing a PhD degree is to gain the abilities needed to allow me to become an international-level researcher with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in my research area. Therefore, I would like to study, for example, advanced topics in mathematics, simulation, wireless networks and QoS topics, all related to my research interests. As part of my research work, I would also like to be able to bring forth contributions and technical proposals in standardization groups (like IEEE or IETF) in a related area of my research. Regarding that, a highly desirable goal of my research would be to develop a new module or framework for an open-source simulation software to be used during my research and shared with the research community, so that they can benefit from it, I can receive their feedback and, finally, it can become a community-supported project. This is one of the things that makes me passionate about a PhD: sharing knowledge and ideas and discussing them with peers and colleagues.

As my CV indicates, I have worked in several Colombian companies for more than five years. I think that this professional experience in the industry is a big plus for me to succeed in my PhD, because I have acquired a set of very important “soft” abilities, crucial when it comes to work in business environments, but also very important in academic and research activities.

Finally, as you may know, my home country, Colombia, has been struggling with many problems during the last decades, even though it is a very beautiful country with plenty of good, smart and hardworking people. I think that one of the better ways to help overcome these difficulties is through education, and, in particular, high-level research and development. (In Colombia, statistics related to R&D, such as the number of PhDs per inhabitants, or R&D investment, are much lower than they should be.) To do so, I can think of no better place to go than a country such as Norway, one of the most technologically advanced societies (for instance, there is very high broadband and mobile penetration and internet usage) with one of the highest standards of living in the world (from 2001 to 2006, based on the UN’s Human Development Index, second in 2007)[omit - not relevant]. Combine that with the possibility of studying in the most prestigious university in Norway and one of the most renowned in Europe in an open-minded, culturally diverse environment, and the result is clear: it is the best place to work hard to achieve my goals.

I am very confident that you will agree with me about my potential to become a member of your research group. I look forward to hearing from you about my application, or if you require any additional information.

Good luck.

emonroy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Your suggestions are great, Anglika. Thank you very much for your help, and for wishing me luck!.

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Some suggestions, highlighted in red:

Dear Mr. XX:

As you can see from my CV, all of my academic and professional experiences are concerned with/are related to the study of telecommunications and data networks and applications. My research interests are focused in(on) these areas : topics like QoS, traffic engineering, traffic modeling, protocols optimization in wireless networks (4G cellular network, next generation WLAN and WMAN, mesh networking, sensors networks and so forth) or fixed networks technologies and protocols (for instance, advanced network protocols for Next Generation Networks). The ideal research topic for me would be aimed at carrying out deep analysis of network protocols issues in layer 2, 3 or 4 of the OSI Model z(and) making use of theoretical and simulation/test-bed tools.

My main academic goal in pursuing a PhD degree is to gain the abilities needed to allow me to become an international-level researcher with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in my research area. Therefore, I would like to study, for example, advanced topics in mathematics, simulation, wireless networks and QoS topics, all related to my research interests. As part of my research work, I would also like to be able to bring forth contributions and technical proposals in standardization groups (like IEEE or IETF) in a related area of my research. Regarding that(To this end), a highly desirable goal of my research would be to develop a new module or framework for an open-source simulation software to be used during my research and shared with the research community, so that they can benefit from it, I can receive their feedback and, finally, it can become a community-supported project. This is one of the things that makes me passionate about a PhD: sharing knowledge and ideas and discussing them with peers and colleagues.

As my CV indicates, I have worked in several Colombian companies for more than five years. I think that this professional experience in the industry is a big plus for me to succeed in my PhD, because I have acquired a set of very important “soft” abilities (which are) crucial when it comes to work in business environments, but (are)also very important in academic and research activities.

Finally, as you may know, my home country, Colombia, has been struggling with many problems during the last(few) decades, even though it is a very beautiful country with plenty of good, smart and hardworking people. I think that one of the better ways to help overcome these difficulties is through education, and, in particular, high-level research and development. (In Colombia, statistics related to R&D, such as the number of PhDs per inhabitants, or R&D investment, are much lower than they should be.) To do so, I can think of no better place to go than a country such as Norway, one of the most technologically advanced societies (for instance, there is very high broadband and mobile penetration and internet usage) with one of the highest standards of living in the world (from 2001 to 2006, based on the UN’s Human Development Index, second in 2007)[omit - not relevant]. Combine that with the possibility of studying in the most prestigious university in Norway and one of the most renowned in Europe in an open-minded, culturally diverse environment, and the result is clear: it is the best place to work hard to achieve my goals.

Last edited by tedtmc; 28-Jun-2008 at 01:45.