Post Thanks / Like

WANTED your help/advice/opinion please!

i am an Australian, finishing my BA in secondary education atm. i will work for 3 months here in oz next year then i plan to start my travels by heading to thailand, doing a 1 month CELTA course (its cheaper there) and working in thailand for 3 - 6 months depending on the circumstances.

i will have a very decent amount of cash in the bank, but would like to try to support myself working while travelling. i realise the wages wont be as good as here.

i will be a solo female traveller (and have travelled some before) i would like to remain in the WARM weather and spend around 3 - 6 months in each place i visit with shorter side trips to surrounding countries either before, after or during my work. i am also interested in surfing and would really like to be near the beach.

*what do you think the chances are of finding these short term positions and are there countries you would suggest are better or worse than others?*

i have researched a number of places that interest me along the lines of japan, costa rica, italy, maldives, reunion island, spain, canary islands, morocco, brazil, vietnam, chile, including specific places but sometimes its hard to find info on esl schools. yes i have tried all the related esl sites too.

has anybody done anything like this (short term working/travelling) and is happy to spend the time giving me their personal advice/opinion?

i am wavering between thinking itll be very easy and very hard! i know finding work in thailand will be easy but am unsure about others.

lastly, if i get a working visa for france, can i use it in every french nation? ie new caladonia, reunion island etc?

THANK YOU!

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WANTED your help/advice/opinion please!

Quote Originally Posted by holly_sparrow View Post
    *what do you think the chances are of finding these short term positions and are there countries you would suggest are better or worse than others?*
    There are two possible routes.
    [1] Work illegally on a tourist visa which runs from 3 to 6 months, depending on the country. I wouldn't advice this, though, as it's, ahem, illegal and so if you're caught ... well, you know... fines ($$) and worst case, deportation.

[2] Work legally on a working visa, which, by the way, is valid for a year, and most if not all companies expect you to stay the full year. Getting out of the contract requires a release letter from the company--in most countries. There's always the real possibility of signing a 6 month contract with the company, though, on a one year working visa. I suggest this route.

Note, you'll need a BA to get a working visa (to work legally). Most countries these days also require TEFL or CELTA--CELTA usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by holly-sparrow
    i have researched a number of places that interest me along the lines of japan, costa rica, italy, maldives, reunion island, spain, canary islands, morocco, brazil, vietnam, chile

Japan: good money, but competition abounds, and the stay can feel isolating at times, even in the biggest cities.
    [I lived there for 6 years]

Italy & Spain: Have friends who teach there, but last time I checked, you need a EU passport to work in Europe. This could have changed, though. Moreover, they tend to prefer teachers from the UK and the USA.

Morocco: Political ... Have friends who visit twice a year on vacation and had looked for teaching jobs. They suggest against it.

Brazil & Chile: Safety ... Have friends who taught in both places and they suggest against it, at least for right now.

Vietnam: Go for it.
    Singapore: Go for it.
    China: Go for it.
    South Korea: Go for it.
    Russia: Go for it. <surfing though?>

Post Thanks / Like

looking for work in thailand can be easy but most would require a working visa..what you can do is to work as a private tutor instead..

Post Thanks / Like

hi, thanks.
    i intend on getting the correct visas for where ever im working.

if i had a working visa for italy or france (which i know i can get) do you think i would be employable or do you think that they solely employ eu citizens?

is there much work to get substituting? ie if i went to a couple of schools in the area could a get 3 or 4 days a week? (in any country)

Post Thanks / Like

for those of you interested in European teaching. . . . .
    there's this web site that has a country-by-country breakdown of the pros and cons. . . .

The International TEFL Corporation

voila!!

it may be subjective info. but it's better than NO info. so take it for what it's worth......