Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Hello Everyone,

    The order of the main structure of the following sentence, if translated into Chinese, should be adjusted as " The surroundings of Shanghai Autoin Center offers an ideal residence"
    By comparision, In English, we are used to saying the Autoin Center offers an ideal residence as in the original sentence while in Chinese we say the surrounding offers an ideal residence.

    Therefore I would like to know here if it is proper for us to say "surrouding offers residence" as that in Chinese?

    The original sentence:
    Enveloped in elegant, peaceful and pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal residence for holiday-spending or business trips.


    Regards

    Richard

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Firstly, with regard to 'residence', is this Centre a hotel?

  3. #3
    susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Enveloped in elegant, peaceful and pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal residence for holiday-spending or business trips.

    This phrase modifies Center.

    "with an European and American country impression modifies surroundings.

    The main structure is Center/offers/residence.

  4. #4
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    " The surroundings of Shanghai Autoin Center offers an ideal residence"

    The 'surroundings' which I understand are made up of gardens and greenery. How could they offer residence??
    They do provide the ideal setting for a residence, a hotel or a retreat.

    Enveloped in elegant, peaceful and pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal residence for holiday-spending or business trips.
    1. 'enveloped in' connotes a sense of being very enclosed. I prefer to use 'surrounded by'
    2. 'flavoured in ......impression' - reminiscent of an European or American countryside? or 'exudes the charm of .......?
    3. holiday-spending' - leisure?
    Last edited by tedtmc; 26-Jun-2008 at 04:34.

  5. #5
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Firstly, with regard to 'residence', is this Centre a hotel?


    Yes, it is a hotel in Shanghai!

  6. #6
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    " The surroundings of Shanghai Autoin Center offers an ideal residence"

    The 'surroundings' which I understand are made up of gardens and greenery. How could they offer residence??
    They do provide the ideal setting for a residence, a hotel or a retreat.



    1. 'enveloped in' connotes a sense of being very enclosed. I prefer to use 'surrounded by'
    2. 'flavoured in ......impression' - reminiscent of an European or American countryside? or 'exudes the charm of .......?
    3. holiday-spending' - leisure?
    Many thanks for your reply! I don't know for sure which phrases are better, yours or those in the context! And I am waiting for other replies!

    The original Chinese of the sentence is 上海奥特茵中心那田园式的环境,优雅静谧,颇有欧美乡村情调,是旅游度假或商住的理想场所.

    I had taken 环境 as the subject of the sentence, so I have the question above. Through your explanation and my consideration, I feel now in the Chinese sentence the subject should be 上海奥特茵中心!

  7. #7
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    The order of the main structure of the following sentence, if translated into Chinese, should be adjusted as " The surroundings of Shanghai Autoin Center offers an ideal residence"
    By comparision, In English, we are used to saying the Autoin Center offers an ideal residence as in the original sentence while in Chinese we say the surrounding offers an ideal residence.

    Therefore I would like to know here if it is proper for us to say "surrouding offers residence" as that in Chinese?

    The original sentence:
    Enveloped in elegant, peaceful and pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal residence for holiday-spending or business trips.


    Regards

    Richard
    How about:

    Surrounded by elegant, peaceful, almost pastoral grounds with a European and American feel, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal place to stay for holiday or business.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Set in elegant, peaceful, pastoral surroundings reminiscent of both Europe and America, the Shanghai AutoinCenter offers the ideal spot for your next holiday or business trip.

  9. #9
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    How about:

    Surrounded by elegant, peaceful, almost pastoral grounds with a European and American feel, the ShanghaiAutoinCenter offers an ideal place to stay for holiday or business.
    What does ground mean here? similar to that of surrounding?

  10. #10
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Set in elegant, peaceful, pastoral surroundings reminiscent of both Europe and America, the Shanghai AutoinCenter offers the ideal spot for your next holiday or business trip.
    set is better , i think! But, reminiscent is not proper here as the original sentence means the surrounding is characteristic with American and European style.
    Last edited by sky753; 28-Jun-2008 at 02:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •