Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The elegant and pastoral surroundings for holiday speding?

'characteristic' : a feature or quality belonging typically to a person, place, or thing and serving to identify it .
    'The characteristic English countryside' means a countryside typically and unmistakably English. An area of Germany may remind me, be similar to something typically English, but it cannot be characteristic of it UNLESS the landscapers have transformed the grounds of the hotel into some mock French/American country scene.

I also didn't want to put another fly in the ointment, but what do you have in mind when you say, characteristic of American countryside?
    What do the grounds of this hotel look like if they are a cross between the countryside around a Chateau on the Loire River and ...for characteristic of America, do you mean the absolutely flat cornfields of the MidWest, or the desert areas in Nevada and Utah, the pine mountains of Oregon, the swamp lands of Florida and Louisianna, the snow-capped mountains of Colorado...
    Does anyone have a typical, characteristic picture of the 'American countryside'? The closest I guess would be the midwest...or the vast cattle ranches of Texas with the cowboys in the saddle.

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the Chinese text, let me give a closer translation to English.

上海奥特茵中心那田园式的环境,优雅静谧,颇有欧美乡村情调,是旅游度假或商住的颇有欧美乡村 情调

Set in serene, scenic pastoral surroundings田园式的环境,优雅静谧, the Shangai Auto Inn Centre上海奥特茵中心 exudes the character of the American or European countryside 颇有欧美乡村情调. It is a perfect venue 理想场所for a holiday or business retreat旅游度假或商.

sky,
    Actually, 'exudes the character of...' is the same as 'is reminiscent of'.

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you have in mind when you say, characteristic of American countryside?
    The writer is not being specific, he's merely taking about the American or European ambience/mood to the place. Something foreign being used as a selling point I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

'exudes the character of' is a delightful phrase, and appropriate!
    'to have the character of' = resembles, and avoids the pitfalls of 'characteristic'.

'venue' is appropriate if you are advertising this as a conference centre. But you appear to be targeting individuals, couples and families ; 'holiday','business trip'

venue: the place where something happens, esp. an organized event such as a concert, conference, or sports event .

I'm still intrigued as to how this countryside looks, that it is a toss-up between French and American in its 'character'

Perhaps one of our American Cousins could impart what comes to mind when they read those words.
    Last edited by David L.; 28-Jun-2008 at 06:27.

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

Perhaps one of our American Cousins could impart what comes to mind when they read those words.
    Though I'm not a relative of Uncle Sam's, apparently, the place in America I'd associate with Europe is New England.

Actually, what this advertisement is trying to say by 'American and European surroundings' is that this area recreates the western style where Europeans and Americans would feel quite comfortable.
    Last edited by Clark; 28-Jun-2008 at 08:17.

Post Thanks / Like

AAAAAAH!!
    pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression

You''ll forgive me, when I read 'pastoral surroundings' = rural surroundings, and that it is these rural surroundings that are flavoured with 'American country impression' = impression of what it is like in the country = rural as opposed to urban area - that I misinterpreted.

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    AAAAAAH!!
    pastoral surroundings flavored with an European and American country impression

You''ll forgive me, when I read 'pastoral surroundings' = rural surroundings, and that it is these rural surroundings that are flavoured with 'American country impression' = impression of what it is like in the country = rural as opposed to urban area - that I misinterpreted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2