ck12van is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help with transcription and stressing!

I have to write an essay and the lecturer gave us this sentence to transcribe:

The transcription wasn't that hard, but I really don't know where I should put the first and secondary stresses in this sentence! Maybe a native speaker can help me or just correct my solution, which is this:

Thanks for every help!
    Last edited by ck12van; 29-Jun-2008 at 11:49.

seba_870701 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help with transcription and stressing!

I don't want to upset you, but the transcription has some mistakes..
    First of all, the indefinite article 'a' is not transcribed correctly: it should be either vowel 'schwa' or diphtong /ei/. Then, you've ommitted an ending of the first word in the utterance. You put a stress on the unstressed syllable in the word 'allophones.' There are no linkings marked at all (doesn't your lecturer require them?).
    I advice to revise carefully your work. Then write gain and we'll see..
    Hope it helps,
    Seba

PS
    I didn't point out all the mistakes! So please revise the transcription really carefully!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all THANK YOU very much for your help seba!

Okay, I tried to correct a few things, but I really don't know what to do with the stresses! We never really learned it and everytime I read this passage to myself I put the stresses every time on a different word. Maybe somebody got a few tips there?
    Anyway I made some changes as you can see here:

About the "a". I think I got the first two right, but I am not sure about the "A speaker" at the beginning on one sentence.

So I hope for more criticism! Really helps me! Thanks

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ck12van View Post
    First of all THANK YOU very much for your help seba!

Okay, I tried to correct a few things, but I really don't know what to do with the stresses! We have never really learned it and every_time I read this passage to myself I put the stresses on different words. Maybe somebody's got a few tips there?
    Anyway I made some changes as you can see here:

About the "a". I think I got the first two right, but I am not sure about the "A speaker" at the beginning of one sentence.

So I hope for more criticism! Really helps me! Thanks
    OK.
    Now it looks much better, still not perfect though. But don't worry, nobody's perfect.
    As far as the stress in the sentences is concerned, I'll give a useful tip.
    There is no strict rule what should be stressed! It fully depends on the speaker's intentions! However, there are some rules about what (usually! --> note there are always some exceptions!) must not be stressed:
    - prepositions (in your transcription you stressed 'in')
    - pronouns
    - conjunctions (you stressed 'and')
    - auxiliary verbs
    - articles (this is the answer to the question about 'a speaker' in one of your sentences)
    - other function words..
    * no weak syllables (with vowel schwa) can be stressed! (the very first wrd in the transcription). For the correct stress at the word level check any dictionary. This link may be useful.
    They're not stressed and usually occur in weak forms. The exceptional situations are when the speaker wants to put special emphasis in an unusual place. Though, it doesn't happen very often and even more rarely in tasks as yours.
    What should be stressed then? The content words - all the words that carry the meaning, e.g. main verbs (unlike to auxiliary verbs!), objects, and anything that is essential to understanding of a sentence.
    C.f.
    1) I KNOW that you did it.
    2) I know that YOU did it.
    3) I know that you DID it.
    4) I know that you did IT.
    All the stress paterns in the above sentences are correct, yet they change the meaning. (number four is less common, but still possible.)
    Now, try to put the stress markers in the appropriate places. I know I make you d hard work, but discovering things on your own is a really valuable experience!
    S~
    Last edited by seba_870701; 28-Jun-2008 at 17:43. Reason: a typo

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much again! I gonna do that homework tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be better...thanks

by the way: is stressed of and in because they are kind of connected with the and; so its knowledge of the perception and skill in the perception! But could be my mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ck12van View Post
    (..) involves a knowledge (secondary stress) OF (pause) (primary stress) AND skill in the perception and production of the phonemes (..)
    I would put it in more or less this way. But it is all a matter of the interpretation of what the speaker wants to make prominent and more important in his utterance.
    I'd leave all the other function words in weak forms.
    S~

PS
    I may be off-line for some time.. But I'll try to check your work as soon as I can! Be patient or ask some other members to check it. We've got great teachers here! And Teia Petrescu is probably the top linguist! I hope I'll master English linguistics some day as much as he has... Some day.., maybe..!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, this is one of my tries!

Well I am really thankful for the help so far!
    I think I will do the rest with some of the other students of my course!

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad, though I've counted 7 mistakes (maybe even more). You still put stress on the UNstressed syllables. And there's still one mistranscribed word.
    But it looks really much better than at the very beginning.
    S~