Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default simple past or present perfect

Joy and I have decided (decide) to go to the rock concert next Saturday. Do you want to come with us?
    No, thanks. I saw (see) those two groups on TV last month, and I ____________ (not like) them at all.

I would use haven't liked in this sentence. But my books' answer is didn't like .
    Why I have to use simple past :?

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean, but you must use the simple past because of "last month" -- it's a finite event in the past, even if it has consequences on the present.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    I see what you mean, but you must use the simple past because of "last month" -- it's a finite event in the past, even if it has consequences on the present.

FRC
    Sorry, but this I don't understand
    When something happens in the past, and it has consequences in the present, than I also have to use the present perfect, haven't I?

In this sentence he said, that he saw the two groups in TV last month. But he havn't liked them from that time till now, did he?

Kind regards,
    Dany

Post Thanks / Like

Well, no -- he didn't like them when he saw them on TV last month. Once you use an expression like "last month", "two years ago" etc., you have no choice: you must use the simple past, as you have precisely set all these events at a given point in the past.
    The sentence "I didn't like them" is linked to the event "I saw them on TV", thus the tenses must be consistent.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Well, no -- he didn't like them when he saw them on TV last month. Once you use an expression like "last month", "two years ago" etc., you have no choice: you must use the simple past, as you have precisely set all these events at a given point in the past.
    The sentence "I didn't like them" is linked to the event "I saw them on TV", thus the tenses must be consistent.

FRC
    Thanks for your help :D

Now I understand it

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!
    My explanations are not always crystal clear -- I do my best

FRC