• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please check it and give a grade.. thanks..

Question. What do you think about English language? And how it is used in global world?

Below is my essay. Please help me checking it and if you don't mind, put a grade.

Answer.

Generally, language is the most important key on humans, because it is used to communicate with each other. Without language, humans are not able to communicate with each other. As we know, on each region, they will have their own language to communicate and act, for instance, in China, they use Chinese language. In this big world, there are more than hundreds of languages or even more, but only few languages are often and commonly used. However, there is one language that almost everyone knows and speaks it as their mother tongue, which is English language.

Basically, English language is a language that is known by westerns and easterns. Moreover, it is also use as an international language and business language. In fact, people believe that English language is the most easiest and simplest language from many others. Despite, many western people use English as their first language. Therefore, a lot of non-English speakers are learning English keenly and fastly. I assume that almost everyone knows English, even it is little.

In brief, I think English language is still admited as an international language and yet global language for business communication. It is good to teach our children from early age, hence they are able to speak it up fluently when they are older.

It's just a short essay made by me.

I would like to know my English, so please give me scores. It's okay if it's not well done.

Btw, I use English as my second language.

Thanks.

Grading Policy:

90-100 - A*
    80-90 - A
    70-80 - B
    60-70 - C
    50-60 - D
    40-50 - E
    <40 - UG (Ungraded)

English-coach is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: please check it and give a grade.. thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by jomo27 View Post
    Question. What do you think about English language? And how it is used in global world?

Below is my essay. Please help me checking it and if you don't mind, put a grade.

Answer.

Generally, language is an important key for humans, because we use it to communicate with one another. Without language, humans are not able to communicate efficiently [I put effeciently because you can use signals and body lanugage to compunicate]. As we know, in each region, people have their own language to communicate, for instance, in China, they speak Chinese.

In this big world, there are more than a hundred languages in existence, but only a few languages are frequently and commonly used. Nevertheless, there is one language that almost everyone knows and is spoken widely as a mother tongue, which is English.

Basically, English language is a language that is known by westerns and easterns. It is also use as an international language and the language of business . In fact, people believe that English is the easiest and simplest language out there. A majority of western people use English as their first language and because of this many non-English speakers are learning English keenly and quickly. I assume that almost everyone knows English, even if just a little.

In conclusion, I think English is still concidered an international language and also a global language for business communication. It is good to teach our children English from an early age, as they will be able to speak it fluently when they are older.

90-100 - A*
    80-90 - A
    70-80 - B
    60-70 - C
    50-60 - D
    40-50 - E
    <40 - UG (Ungraded)
    Hi,

My name is Diana Tower and I have been teaching English for the past two years in Spain. I am from Canada (Calgary) and I love helping people learn and improve their English. (Just thought I would introduce myself). You can see that I have made some corrections to your essay and I thought I would give you some feedback as well.

The first thing to remember is that you don't need to say English Language...Chinese language etc. Just say English or Chinese.

Also when I wrote "English is the easiest out there" that means existing...like my phone is the best out there...means my phone is the best existing phone right now.

In general I think your writing level is good...a mid intermediate (but it depends on what scale you are refering too...there are many different ones out there). You construct your ideas well, use good connectors to keep everything flowing from one idea to the next and you express your ideas with a nice style and voice.

Watch out for a, the, in/at/on . They are small but tricky.

In general I am not sure what letter grade I would give you. I don't score by letter grades. But I would say that you have a mid-intermediate level...

I hope that helps.

Also, if you would like some more help with your writing, visit the writing section of my website Free writing lessons for all forms of writing. There you can see real letters written by my friend Arturo. You can try to catch his mistakes and then compare what you find with what I found.

If you need any other help, don't hesitate to come to the forum or ask me directly. :)

Happy writing!
    Diana Tower
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com

jomo27 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please check it and give a grade.. thanks..

Thank you for correcting the mistakes.

Well, I will ask you if I have any questions...

I'm visiting the website you mention. ~

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Diana, it's a wonderful site.

LEARN ENGLISH BY USING IT: PROVIDING ANSWERS & MOTIVATION EVERY STEP OF THE WAY

From a fellow Calgarian.

English-coach is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm glad that you like my website. I am working on it regularly to try and make it the best that it can be. I am looking for a way to make it more like a course...so that people can progress through it and and see a change in their English. Soup: you are from Calgary too! I love the city. I don't live there now but I visit regularly. :)

I hope that the site helps you and lots of others learn English...it is nothing like UsingEnglish.com though. This is a wonderful site. I love the forum. Everyone here is so helpful and the learners ask wonderful questions.

All the best,
    Diana

Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 12:40.

LauraXu is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the easiest and simplest. Not most easiest and simplest.