Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: To

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? What do they mean?

    1. We can't send him to military school.
    2. We can't send him to the military school.
    They are correct. "the" refers to a specific military school--one that has already been mentioned and hence is already known to the speakers.


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,344
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12
    Thanks guys. :)

    I think I'm getting the 'disputed' thing now.

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Thanks guys. :)

    I think I'm getting the 'disputed' thing now.
    :D


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,344
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? What do they mean?

    1. We can't send him to military school.
    2. We can't send him to the military school.
    They are correct. "the" refers to a specific military school--one that has already been mentioned and hence is already known to the speakers.
    What do these mean?
    1. We can't send him to military school. (How come this one doesn't need the determiner?)
    2. We can't send him to a military school.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    1. We can't send him to military school.

    How come this one doesn't need the determiner?
    'military', an adjective, tells us what kind of school. That is, the speaker is emphasizing a specific kind of school, military school: "We can't send him to military school, to computer school, to flower arranging school." Compare that sentence with these sentences,

    "We can't send him to a (any) military school.
    "We can't send him to the (the one we talked about) military school."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •