• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile moral, ethical and professional dilemmas

1. Remember that you are establishing a legal duty of care if children are invited to come into the school grounds early.
    2. Implement a system of formal playground supervision if children are at school early by invitation.
    3. Inform parents unequivocally of the operating times of teacher playground duty, and of the fact that no formal supervision of the playground occurs outside those hours.
    4. Be aware that the problem of ‘latchkey kids’ provides moral, ethical and professional dilemmas and duties for the school, but not a legal duty unless the children are invited or encouraged to enter the school grounds early.
Hi! I have a problem of understanding the part I hightlight in blue,though I understand each word. Could you please explain why "latchkey kids" provides moral ethical and professional dilemmas for schools?

Thank you!
Last edited by thedaffodils; 04-Jul-2008 at 00:50. Reason: typo

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: moral, ethical and professional dilemmas

"latch-key kids" = children whose parent[s] are working away from the home, so the children have their own keys to the house. It implies that they lack supervision and are likely to get into mischief as there is no-one at home to make sure they are safe.

For the schools the dilemma in this situation is whether they should actively interfere in the families and their way of life. They have responsibility for the children in the school, but not outside the school; at the same time, all adults have a moral responsibility to ensure that children are not in danger. It is a situation - certainly in modern inner cities - that leads to a great deal of debate.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: moral, ethical and professional dilemmas

Hi Anglika,

Thank you very much for your interpretation. I got it.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that the problem of ‘latchkey kids’ provides moral, ethical and professional dilemmas and duties for the school, but not a legal duty unless the children are invited or encouraged to enter the school grounds early.

Latchkey kids are on their own before and after school, so they may show up at the school before it opens and/or stay after regular school hours. So this is an issue that the school must deal with. I would not term them as a "problem." but certainly a subject matter that needs an official school policy to guide staff.

In the US, the some schools provide a before-school breakfast program and allow the students study time in a quiet room before school starts. After school, a snack and study hour, plus an activity, is offered. There is usually a minimum charge to parents for this program.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! I have a problem of understanding the part I hightlight in blue,though I understand each word. Could you please explain why "latchery kids" provides moral ethical and professional dilemmas for schools?

Thank you!
    It's "latchKEY kids". They're schoolchildren who have a key to their front door and get home from school before their parents, both of whom work. Teachers are supposed to be in loco parentis ('in the position of a parent'), but if teachers are expected to be acting like parents after school hours, all sorts of problems arise.

b

PS Three-way note-clash.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: moral, ethical and professional dilemmas

Hi Susiedqq & Bob,

Thank you very much for your answers. There are many "latchKEY kids" in the cities of China too. Most parents have to work because just a salary can't support a family well. Kids usually hang keys around their necks. I was one of them.

Actually, I had got the key about "latchKEY kids" from Wikipedia. It sounded very familar to me though it is an English phrase when I learned it. Sorry, I didn't clarify this and let you three had to explain.

Susieqq:

We have a similar programme in China.

In the US, the some schools provide a before-school breakfast program and allow the students study time in a quiet room before school starts. After school, a snack and study hour, plus an activity, is offered. There is usually a minimum charge to parents for this program.
    Bobk:

PS Three-way note-clash.
    Anglika once said it would be good to do double confirmation. I assume she would probably said it would be cool for tri-confirmation this time.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed!