Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107
  1. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Is the autor of this essay a native speaker of English or not?If not, how would a native write all this?

    When I was younger I had a dream to become a great footbal player. I was really good and there was nothing to stop me from making my dream come true, except for me. I tried many different sports and even was a member of national team of moutnain runners. At the age of 18 I decided that sport should not be so important and chose to do something else for living. I do not regret my decision but I feel I am still in love with sport. Wherever I go and play football or basketball, people around me are amazed how good I am. They cannot believe that I was never a professional. It is just a natural talent...Who knows, perhaps I should stick to my passion and make a fortune as Frank Lampard and others did playing a funny game called football? On the other hand, it is said, when you do something every day, your passion gradually becomes your profession and is no fun any more. Did I save my passion from becoming a boring routine? I hope so.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,063
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Is the autor of this essay a native speaker of English or not?If not, how would a native write all this?

    It's hard to say for sure, Banderas.

    When I was younger I had a dream to become a great football player. I was really good and there was nothing to stop me from making my dream come true, except for me. I tried many different sports and even was a member of the national team of mountain runners.

    At the age of 18 I decided that sport should not be so important and chose to do something else for a living. I do not regret my decision but I feel I am still in love with sport. Wherever I go and play football or basketball, people around me are amazed how good I am. They cannot believe that I was never a professional. It is just a natural talent...Who knows, perhaps I should stick to my passion and make a fortune as Frank Lampard and others did playing a funny game called football?

    On the other hand, it is said, when you do something every day, your passion gradually becomes your profession and is no fun any more. Did I save my passion from becoming a boring routine? I hope so.
    #

  2. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Thanks Riverkid for your comment. Is it 50% for a Native and 50% for a non-native? Does this short essay sound natural to your native ear? Do the words flow as they should do in the English language?

  3. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Like riverkid, I'm finding it hard to say. I might actually say 60/40 for native over non-native, because the overall fliuency is quite high, but some of the small errors seem unlikely for native speakers. The missing articles that riverkid highlight point toward non-native in my opinion, but are far from conclusive.

  4. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    Like riverkid, I'm finding it hard to say. I might actually say 60/40 for native over non-native, because the overall fliuency is quite high, but some of the small errors seem unlikely for native speakers. The missing articles that riverkid highlight point toward non-native in my opinion, but are far from conclusive.
    Thanks Stuart for your opinion.
    These missing articles, could you say they might be just typos of a native? Do natives make such mistakes when writing? Besides that, does it all flow naturally to you?

  5. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    It certainly could have been written by a native speaker. But it is impossible to say for sure. The writer could have learned English as a second language and learned it very well.

    The essay only needed a couple of minor changes. The only question I have is about mountain runners. As far as I know, that is not a sport. Perhaps the writer meant marathon runners.


  6. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Thanks Stuart for your opinion.
    These missing articles, could you say they might be just typos of a native? Do natives make such mistakes when writing? Besides that, does it all flow naturally to you?
    Yes, it flows well, and the missing articles could easily be typos from a native speaker. I've omitted articles by "brain fart" myself occasionally, which is why I agree with RonBee that it could be a native speaker or a non-native who's learned it really well. If I ever mastered a SOL to the extent of writing as fluently and naturally as this, I'd be extremely chuffed.

  7. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    It certainly could have been written by a native speaker. But it is impossible to say for sure. The writer could have learned English as a second language and learned it very well.

    The essay only needed a couple of minor changes. The only question I have is about mountain runners. As far as I know, that is not a sport. Perhaps the writer meant marathon runners.

    Thanks, RonBee for your input.
    The mountain running could be a sport. It is like running but in the mountains. I might possibly be wrong...

  8. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    Yes, it flows well, and the missing articles could easily be typos from a native speaker. I've omitted articles by "brain fart" myself occasionally, which is why I agree with RonBee that it could be a native speaker or a non-native who's learned it really well. If I ever mastered a SOL to the extent of writing as fluently and naturally as this, I'd be extremely chuffed.
    Thanks again, Stuart!
    By the way,what is a SOL?

  9. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    On the other hand, it is said that when you do something every day your passion gradually becomes your profession and is no fun any more. Did I save my passion from becoming a boring routine? I hope so.
    It flows quite well. On the other hand, it is a bit odd that the writer leaves out so many "little" words that others would not leave out. I can't say conclusively that the writer is either a native speaker or is not a native speaker. Certainly, the writer has a good enough grasp of the language that little or no interpretation is needed.

    (I'm not a proofreader, but I used to play one on TV. )


Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. English Education In China
    By Aniu in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2008, 00:55
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2006, 10:35
  3. What can I do to become a fluent English speaker?
    By nostradamus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2006, 23:27
  4. what is a native speaker?
    By bbqweasel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2006, 06:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •