Post Thanks / Like

Default My first essay about Heart of Darkness

Hello dear friends, this is the first time I write an essay in the literature area, I am a little worried about my writting style and if I make clear my ideas to the reader, can you give me a hand with this essay to submitt it . Thank you!
    Cultural Hybridism in the narrative of Heart of Darkness
    This term paper considers three different cases of cultural hybridism of narration in Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Here, it is argued that the text guide its audiences toward the understanding of the cultural variations of the characters when contact a different land, the references of cultural hybridization in the land of the Barbarians emerge by a closer examination of the three characters: Fresleven, the Danish fellow, the harlequin, or also named as the Russian, and Mr. Kurtz, all these personages are bounded together by shared interests and personal commitments, and their ‘transformations’ which at the same time give support to the creation and re(creation) of their self-representation in the place of Darkness are the main focus in this paper.
    The story’s location in a specific geographical and historical context (Africa) has been used by Conrad to insist upon the narration’s engagement with darkness, the place of darkness, pressing its characters from the civilized world with issues related to the barbarian world, grouping and focusing excessively in ethnic differences (the color of the skin, the white and the black man), and personal behaviors (they are jumping, screaming, eating rotten meat), all these characteristics portray the differences of the two groups, the civilized and the Barbarians. However, in the course of the narration, through their advance to the heart of Darkness, Marlow meticulously recounts changes that some members of the civilized group experiment, becoming new personages, and owning different behaviors compared with those from the very beginning of the story.
    My particular focus is upon the representation of personage’s hybridization itself. I want to pause to explain the text’s own impulse to understand how the context influenced on the characters in the African land. By examining the cases set up by Conrad and its representation of the bumpy relations and treatment of the barbarians by the civilized man, one of those cases is the recount of Marlow about the story of his predecessor Fresleven. Marlow was sent to recover Fresleven’s bones, which he found lying in the center of a deserted African village. The man was killed in a scuffle over some hens, after striking the village chief, he was stabbed by the chief’s son. But the interest on the text relays on the behave contradiction of the personage, described by Marlow in the next lines:
    “…he went ashore and started to hammer the chief of the village with a stick. Oh, it didn’t surprise me in the least to hear this, and at the same time to be told that Fresleven was the gentlest, quietest creature that ever walked on two legs. No doubt he was; but he had been a couple of years already out there engaged in the noble cause, you know, and he probably felt the need at last of asserting his self-respect in some way”(14)

After the dispute over the hens, Fresleven was left there to die, and the superstitious natives immediately abandoned the village. How come a man described as good-tempered, a nonviolent man became so furious to the extent of strike a person?, without any doubt, the answer is clearly linked to the concepts of power, authority and self-representation that Fresleven though he deserves, feelings that were discovered by him after living a couple of years in the new land. He was sent as a servant of the project of the civilization, to work for the company benefits, and to follow the convention of the project: to civilize and manner in moral and virtue the Barbarians. However, he found the real person in his inner, and it is deducible that instead of continue working as a ordinary servant of the project of civilization, he elevates himself and defends his own interest (as he thought he was deluded by the natives in the negotiation of the hens). He died not for the name of the civilization; he died under his own reasoning and resolution, here, in this case a process of hybridism had affected him, leading to a transformation and a different representation as a violent and bad-tempered man.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first essay about Heart of Darkness

Suggestions:
    This is the first time I have written an essay, and I am a little worried about my writing style. Do I make my ideas clear to the reader?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions:
    the narration of
    the text guides its audience
    What is meant by "when contact a different land"?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Please space between paragraphs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you !!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What is "cultural hybridism of narration"?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yrmacita View Post
    Here, it is argued that the text guide its audiences toward the understanding of the cultural variations of the characters when contact a different land, the references of cultural hybridization in the land of the Barbarians emerge by a closer examination of the three characters: Fresleven, the Danish fellow, the harlequin, or also named as the Russian, and Mr. Kurtz, all these personages are bounded together by shared interests and personal commitments, and their ‘transformations’ which at the same time give support to the creation and re(creation) of their self-representation in the place of Darkness are the main focus in this paper.
    Goodness! You need to make at least three sentences out of that. (Hopefully, it will be easier to read after that.) And the last part of that "sentence" should be:
    the main focus of this paper.

Maluues is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here, it is argued that the text guide its audiences toward the understanding of the cultural variations of the characters when contact a different land, the references of cultural hybridization in the land of the Barbarians emerge by a closer examination of the three characters: Fresleven, the Danish fellow, the harlequin, or also named as the Russian, and Mr. Kurtz, all these personages are bounded together by shared interests and personal commitments, and their ‘transformations’ which at the same time give support to the creation and re(creation) of their self-representation in the place of Darkness are the main focus in this paper.

Shouldn't it be: it is argued that the texe (it) guides its audiences........when contacting....?

Just a student.