Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Should we give money to charities or direct to people who are in need?

    Many people many agree that the possible way of helping people, such as baggers, homeless people, etc, is to donate money to the charities, as it is the way that money can be used more effective and efficient. So in today’s society, if one put his money on the beggar’s can, those critics may said “we are supporting their way of life”.

    Truly, giving money directly to people who need may generate more and more beggars on the street, and it also may not help so much to improve their living conditions. However, everyone needs compassion. How would you think if there an old disable lady lying on the ground looking at you with her helpless eyes, you walked through the lady and pretending no one is there? Can you be so cruel that trying to convict yourself that better not give money, even a couple of cents? Can you be so ignorance that doing nothing just let the problem to somebody else but not troubling yourself?


  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?


  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    Many people many agree that the possible way of helping people, such as baggers, homeless people, etc, is to donate money to the charities, as it is the way that money can be used more effective and efficient. So in today’s society, if one put his money on the beggar’s can, those critics may said “we are supporting their way of life”.

    Many people agree that the best way to help people such as beggars and homeless people is to donate money to charity, as that is the way that the money can be used most effectively and efficiently. So in today’s society, if one puts his money in the beggar’s can, those critics may say “we are supporting their way of life”.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    Truly, giving money directly to people who need may generate more and more beggars on the street, and it also may not help so much to improve their living conditions.

    Truly, giving money directly to people in need may encourage begging, and it might not improve their living conditions much.

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    How would you think if there an old disable lady lying on the ground looking at you with her helpless eyes, you walked through the lady and pretending no one is there? Can you be so cruel that trying to convict yourself that better not give money, even a couple of cents? Can you be so ignorance that doing nothing just let the problem to somebody else but not troubling yourself?
    Please rewrite that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Please rewrite that.
    What would you think if there is an old disable lady lying on the ground looking at you with her helpless eyes, but you are walking through the lady and pretending no one is there? Can you be so cruel that trying to convict yourself that better not give money, even a couple of cents? Can you be so ignorance that doing nothing just pass the problem to somebody else but don't want to trouble yourself?

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    What would you think if there is an old disable lady lying on the ground looking at you with her helpless eyes, but you are walking through the lady and pretending no one is there? Can you be so cruel that trying to convict yourself that better not give money, even a couple of cents? Can you be so ignorance that doing nothing just pass the problem to somebody else but don't want to trouble yourself?
    Perhaps:
    If you would see an old disabled lady lying on the ground looking at you with helpless eyes would you walk past her and pretend that you don't see anything?
    You can walk past somebody, but you can't walk through somebody.

    I don't know what "convict yourself" means.

    "Ignorant" is an adjective. "Ignorance" is a noun. (Are you sure that's the right word?)


  8. #8
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Can you be so cruel that trying to convict yourself that better not give money, even a couple of cents? Can you be so ignorance that doing nothing just pass the problem to somebody else but don't want to trouble yourself?


    Would you be so cruel as to try to convince yourself not to give an money, not even a few cents? Would you be so callous as to do nothing but let the problem pass you by and expect someone else to deal with it?

    not a teacher

  9. #9
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    I suppose it is possible for a problem to pass me by, but I don't know how.

    (Let's let skymoon do the work as much as possible.)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default re: Should we give money to charities or directly to people who are in need?

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post

    Would you be so cruel as to try to convince yourself not to give an money, not even a few cents? Would you be so callous as to do nothing but let the problem pass you by and expect someone else to deal with it?

    not a teacher
    "a few cents" or "few cents"?

    Skymoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Movement of people (Migration)
    By jomo27 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 22:43
  2. soft money
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2008, 06:36
  3. Teachers, may you please correct my essay.
    By hmong04 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2004, 09:01
  4. Travel / Traveling Overseas
    By eric2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2004, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk