Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default things gonna break my way

    Can you tell what this means?
    Request for an example.

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Request an example = ask for an example


  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Things are gonna break my way - things are going to go my way; my luck will change. Example:
    Things are gonna break my way if I just keep trying. Persistence pays off.

  4. #4
    Amigos4's Avatar
    Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Things are gonna break my way - things are going to go my way; my luck will change. Example:
    Things are gonna break my way if I just keep trying. Persistence pays off.
    besthost,
    I agree with RonBee but I'd like to see you stay away from the use of 'gonna'!
    Things are going to break my way if I just keep trying. Persistence in using correct grammar pays off.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Request an example = ask for an example

    Ok, but I meant "request" as a noun, so I guess it's ok. To substantiate my bold "thesis" I give you a link, where you can find "request for comments" phrase ;)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    besthost,
    I agree with RonBee but I'd like to see you stay away from the use of 'gonna'!
    Things are going to break my way if I just keep trying. Persistence in using correct grammar pays off.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Sorry captain, but this is how AmE looks like and how people sometimes say. To discard 'gonna' is like to get rid of "could've" or "ain't". Learning English entirely from books is somewhat artificial and everybody knows that. English language is not only words, but also a powerful tool that can compromise your descent by what words or phrases you use in a conversation. Ain't that correct? :)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    I thank you for all the remarks and I'm giving you big thumbs up, because these prove that you care and you're not that indifferent to someone else's study of English language.


  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Quote Originally Posted by besthost View Post
    Sorry captain, but this is how AmE looks like and how people sometimes say. To discard 'gonna' is like to get rid of "could've" or "ain't". Learning English entirely from books is somewhat artificial and everybody knows that. English language is not only words, but also a powerful tool that can compromise your descent by what words or phrases you use in a conversation. Ain't that correct? :)
    "Gonna" is actually quite common in spoken English. Example:
    A: How long are you gonna be here?
    B: I'm gonna be here for a while.
    From a conversation with my wife:
    Me: "Gonna" is quite common in spoken English, ain't it?
    She: Yeah.

  9. #9
    Amigos4's Avatar
    Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    "Gonna" is actually quite common in spoken English. Example:
    A: How long are you gonna be here?
    B: I'm gonna be here for a while.
    From a conversation with my wife:
    Me: "Gonna" is quite common in spoken English, ain't it?
    She: Yeah.
    Hi, guys!
    It's time for a friendly fork in the road!
    Just because something is 'common' doesn't necessarily make it correct!
    Using 'gonna' may be as common as picking boogers from your nose but that doesn't make it proper!!!
    I shudder as much when I hear 'lazy English' being used as I do when I see people doing strange things because they are too lazy to do it correctly!

    besthost, thanks for the multiple thumbs up comments! They are 'gonna' make 'ma' day 'real' special!

    RonBee, I'll be seein' y'all in the other threads!

    Amigo

  10. #10
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: things gonna break my way

    "Words" such as "gonna" and "gotta" and other such expressions not common in written English are in fact quite common in spoken English. As for "correctness", who decides what is "correct" but the speakers of a language?

    Examples of the use of "gonna" and "gotta":
    A: Do you wanna beer?
    B: No, I gotta go.
    A: When you gonna be back?
    B: I dunno. See ya later!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. break up, break down
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 08:11
  2. the meaning of break and crack
    By XINLAI-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 17:53
  3. What are the good things and the bad things about Indonesia?
    By reyhn in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2007, 02:13
  4. object
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2007, 11:51
  5. I don't remember a lot of things
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2003, 22:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •