Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 20
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    hi,

    last time when I was talking with an American,
    I used this phrase "cheating sheet" to express that
    the item which we use to help us pass exams.

    however, he told me I should use "cheat sheet" instead,
    he said, "cheating sheet" has another meaning.

    what does cheating sheet mean then?

    thanks,
    charlie

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by codenamecharlie View Post
    hi,

    last time when I was talking with an American,
    I used this phrase "cheating sheet" to express that
    the item which we use to help us pass exams.

    however, he told me I should use "cheat sheet" instead,
    he said, "cheating sheet" has another meaning.

    what does cheating sheet mean then?

    thanks,
    charlie
    Cheat-sheet seems to be the accepted name for these things, I havn't seen or been able to find any reference to a cheating sheet.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    What did the clean bed sheet say to the soiled one? You cheatin' sheet!

  3. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    Interesting. . . . when you say "we" I assume all Chinese use a cheat sheet to pass English exams. Have you considered using old-fashioned methods like studying and honest work?
    Your comment is completely uncalled for.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Originally Posted by hinomura
    Interesting. . . . when you say "we" I assume all Chinese use a cheat sheet to pass English exams. Have you considered using old-fashioned methods like studying and honest work?
    Your comment is completely uncalled for.

    I agree absolutely with you Soup, not at all in the spirit of this forum, which exists to help and encourage the learning of English.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 09-Jul-2008 at 13:38. Reason: typo

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Incidentally, as usual the unnecessary jibe has generated more heat than light.

    Here's the light: A "cheat sheet" is not necessarily used by cheats - it's an aide-mémoire often used by hard-working and honest students during revision. It can also be a list or précis that can be used in any context (not just exams). Example [in a presentation]: "Don't bother copying this all down. I've summarized the main points in a cheat sheet that you can pick up on the way out."

    b

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Thanks, BobK! I didn't know there was more than one use for that term.



  7. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Thanks, BobK! I didn't know there was more than one use for that term.



    In Br Eng there's a term specifically used for the sort used by exam cheats: a 'crib sheet'. ("Crib" is a pretty obscure word meaning "copy surreptitiously").

    Whenever I've heard 'cheat sheet' it's been used in the non-judgemental sense. But as my work background was US-owned (DEC and HP, with a brief European phase at Compaq - same job, but lots of mergers) I'm not sure what the UK position is; the two terms exist in different senses though, in my idiolect at least!

    b

  8. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: cheat sheet vs. cheating sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    In Br Eng there's a term specifically used for the sort used by exam cheats: a 'crib sheet'. ("Crib" is a pretty obscure word meaning "copy surreptitiously").
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Whenever I've heard 'cheat sheet' it's been used in the non-judgemental sense. But as my work background was US-owned (DEC and HP, with a brief European phase at Compaq - same job, but lots of mergers) I'm not sure what the UK position is; the two terms exist in different senses though, in my idiolect at least!

    b
    This could be another AE/BE difference. I am only familiar with the use of "cheat sheet" (or "crib sheet") meaning something that is used to get an unfair advantage (cheat) on an exam. It's a memory aid.


    Edit:
    The previous comment was posted before I looked up "cheat sheet" on the Internet. It is indeed something that is a memory aid and not just something that is used for cheating.

    Cheat sheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by RonBee; 19-Jul-2008 at 13:53. Reason: add something

Similar Threads

  1. Remember to hand in this answer sheet.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2007, 06:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •