Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Men and Women are Different

    Dear Teachers and Friends,
    Can I ask you to find any mistakes I made?
    Thanks.

    My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage is a sign of the normality and happen even to a perfect couple." And he adds: "Do not try to fully understand your wife as you are doomed to fail." Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and a complete life. Unless, of course, someone chooses to be single. Arguments are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger.

    The problem is not that I make a mistake. My reaction to it is crucial here. Being able to say "I was wrong, I am sorry" just to make my wife happy and maintain the harmony is all that matters. My father and my mother set a good example for me doing it all their life even though they are not perfect people.

    It all sounds quite easy in theory but it is very hard to do in practice. Being inclined to be offended for a long time and to stop talking to each other is something we have to avoid at any cost! We need to talk, however, talking does not mean completely understand your partner. "Empathy and love should do the job", my father says. Still, the desire to admit to the mistakes has to be mutual and truthful as a happy marriage consists of two people.

    According to divorce statistics, every third couple get divorced in my country. It is hard to believe considering Poland a catholic country. Choose your spouse carefully and reasonably, as I did, if you do not want to have this experience, which is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic of all.
    Last edited by banderas; 08-Jul-2008 at 19:02.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    I suppose that you are referring to this text below.

    My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage are a sign of no "the" here normality and happen even to a perfect couple." And he adds: "Do not try to fully understand your wife as you are doomed to fail." Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings, and at the same time they need each other so badlyin order to live a happy and no "a" necessary here complete life. Unless, of course, someone chooses to be single. Disagreements are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger. My suggestions are in red.

  3. #3
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I suppose that you are referring to this text below.

    My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage are a sign of no "the" here normality and happen even to a perfect couple." And he adds: "Do not try to fully understand your wife as you are doomed to fail." Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings, and at the same time they need each other so badlyin order to live a happy and no "a" necessary here complete life. Unless, of course, someone chooses to be single. Disagreements are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger. My suggestions are in red.
    Thank you, I hope someone else will take care of remaining paragraphs.

  4. #4
    anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post

    According to divorce statistics, every third couple get divorced in my country. It is hard to believe considering Poland a catholic country.
    Do you think that religious ties make an union less likely to fail?

  5. #5
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Do you think that religious ties make an union less likely to fail?
    Religious ties to whom?
    I think that if you make special room for God in your marriage, it makes your relationship less likely to fail. Religion is very general, whereas believe is very indyvidual to me. What I mean was that if people call themselves catholic they should be strong believer too. It is not always trhe case, though...
    I hope, the moderators won't delete this post. I am not gonna carry on this religious subject. I am more interested in asking someone to correct mistakes in my original post.

  6. #6
    anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Oh, I see no reason to delete it. I was just trying to make sure that I understood your point of view as the topic of your essay is quite subjective.

  7. #7
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Can I ask a native speaker of English to correct my mistakes in the first post? Thanks.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    The problem is not if I make a mistake. My reaction to it is crucial here. Being able to say "I was wrong, I am sorry" just to make my wife happy and maintain harmony is all that matters. My father and mother set a good example for me doing it all their lives, even though they are not perfect people.

  9. #9
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The problem is not if I make a mistake. My reaction to it is crucial here. Being able to say "I was wrong, I am sorry" just to make my wife happy and maintain harmony is all that matters. My father and mother set a good example for me doing it all their lives, even though they are not perfect people.
    Thanks, Bhaishab for correcting these two paragraphs.
    Two are left yet.

  10. #10
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Men and Women Differences

    Can I ask a native speaker of English to correct my mistakes in the last two paragraphs of my original post? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •