• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Men and Women Differences

My father always says that conflict in a marriage is par for the course, adding, "Do not try to understand your wife as you are doomed to fail."

Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings, yet, at the same time, they need each other to live a happy, fulfilling life. Conflict is healthy for a relationship, if, that is, it helps two people grow closer together. Being able to say "I was wrong. I am sorry" just to make my wife happy and maintain harmony is all that matters. My father and mother set a good example--and they are, by no means, perfect people.

It all sounds quite easy in theory, but it is very hard to do in practice. According to divorce statistics, every third couple gets divorced in my country, which is hard to believe considering that Poland is a catholic country. Being inclined to be offended for a long time and to stop talking to your spouse is something that needs to be avoided at every cost! We need to talk, but talking does not have to mean completely understanding your partner. "Empathy and love should do the job", my father says. Still, the desire to admit fault has to be mutual, as a happy marriage consists of two people.

Choose your spouse carefully, as I have. Otherwise, you might just live through what is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic experiences of your life. Divorce.

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    My father always says that conflict in a marriage is par for the course, adding, "Do not try to understand your wife as you are doomed to fail."

Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings, yet, at the same time, they need each other to live a happy, fulfilling life. Conflict is healthy for a relationship, if, that is, it helps two people grow closer together. Being able to say "I was wrong. I am sorry" just to make my wife happy and maintain harmony is all that matters. My father and mother set a good example--and they are, by no means, perfect people.

It all sounds quite easy in theory, but it is very hard to do in practice. According to divorce statistics, every third couple gets divorced in my country, which is hard to believe considering that Poland is a catholic country. Being inclined to be offended for a long time and to stop talking to your spouse is something that needs to be avoided at every cost! We need to talk, but talking does not have to mean completely understanding your partner. "Empathy and love should do the job", my father says. Still, the desire to admit fault has to be mutual, as a happy marriage consists of two people.

Choose your spouse carefully, as I have. Otherwise, you might just live through what is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic experiences of your life. Divorce.
    Hello, Soup". This is just awesome what you have done for me! You not only corrected my mistakes but also improved these paragraphs significantly! I can benefit from it greatly by seeing how would compose this text a native speaker! Thank you!
    To my understanding, these sentences below are grammatically correct but they are not natural to your ear, right?

My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage is a sign of normality and happen even to a perfect couple."

... and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and a complete life.

Arguments are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger.

Choose your spouse carefully and reasonably, as I did, if you do not want to have this experience, which is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic of all.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    To my understanding, these sentences below are grammatically correct but they are not natural to your ear, right?
    Right. (And you're most welcome for the help.) The oddities are in purple.

[1] My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage is a sign of normality and happen even to a perfect couple."

[2] ... and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and a complete life.

[3] Arguments are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger. <semantics: grow stronger>

[4] Choose your spouse carefully and reasonably [Chinese-English transliteration], as I did, if you do not want to have this experience [what experience?], which is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic of all [time] <Try, in your life>.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

[1] My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage are a sign of normality and happen even to a perfect couple."

[2] ... and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and complete life.

[3] Arguments are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger.
    [4] Choose your spouse carefully and reasonably as I did, if you do not want to have this experience (divorce) , which is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic of all (experiences).

Many people (natives) actually speak like this.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Men and Women are Different

Perhaps:
    Conflict in a marriage is normal, and arguments happen even in the best relationships.

It is not conflict that is the problem. It is what you do about it that is important.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

And he adds: "Do not try to fully understand your wife as you are doomed to fail."

Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and a complete life.
    Perhaps:
    Men and women are too different to be able to live without any misunderstandings and at the same time they need each other in order that they might live happy and complete lives.
    Unless, of course, someone chooses to be single.
    Delete that. It is totally irrelevant.

Arguments are also required for a relationship to grow and become stronger.
    Perhaps:
    Conflict shouldn't necessarily be avoided. What is important is the way it is handled.
    What do you think?

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    [1] My father always tells me: "Conflicts in a marriage are a sign of normality and happen even to a perfect couple."

[2] ... and at the same time they need each other so badly in order to live a happy and complete life.

[4] Choose your spouse carefully and reasonably as I did, if you do not want to have this experience (divorce) , which is said to be one of the worst and most traumatic of all (experiences).
    You may have to clarify your point.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post

That may be true, but it is not conversation. It is an essay.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Banderas, assuming that you are going to rewrite it, I would like to see the rewritten essay here.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    You may have to clarify your point.
    Which aspects would you like me to clarify?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast