Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default the part of speech of the word 'man'

    Dear teachers,

    As is known, 'man' can be used as a noun. However, I came across a sentence'He is not man enough'. I think the word 'man' is an adjective. But I can't prove it by consulting my dictionries which define 'man' as a noun. Could you please explain the usage if the word in the sentence is a noun?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the part of speech of the word 'man'

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    As is known, 'man' can be used as a noun. However, I came across a sentence'He is not man enough'. I think the word 'man' is an adjective. But I can't prove it by consulting my dictionries which define 'man' as a noun. Could you please explain the usage if the word in the sentence is a noun?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    It seems to act like an adjective:

    He is good enough.
    He is sure enough.
    He is positive enough.
    He is man enough.

    All the best, :D

  3. #3
    Mister Micawber's Avatar
    Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting question, Jiang. I did a lot of thinking and googling without coming up with a real answer. My opinion is that 'man' remains a noun, and that the expression 'man enough' is idiomatic, meaning 'having sufficient masculine attributes', or perhaps is a shortened form of 'manly enough'.

    I cannot think of another 'noun + enough' phrase, unless it is a facetious mimicry of this one ('woman enough', Yankee fan enough').

    I look forward with curiosity to the posting of a definitive explanation.

  4. #4
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the part of speech of the word 'man'

    :D
    Dear Casiopea,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    As is known, 'man' can be used as a noun. However, I came across a sentence'He is not man enough'. I think the word 'man' is an adjective. But I can't prove it by consulting my dictionries which define 'man' as a noun. Could you please explain the usage if the word in the sentence is a noun?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    It seems to act like an adjective:

    He is good enough.
    He is sure enough.
    He is positive enough.
    He is man enough.

    All the best, :D

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    :)
    Thank you very much for your response. I asked the question because there are no other examples of 'noun+enough'.


    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber
    Interesting question, Jiang. I did a lot of thinking and googling without coming up with a real answer. My opinion is that 'man' remains a noun, and that the expression 'man enough' is idiomatic, meaning 'having sufficient masculine attributes', or perhaps is a shortened form of 'manly enough'.

    I cannot think of another 'noun + enough' phrase, unless it is a facetious mimicry of this one ('woman enough', Yankee fan enough').

    I look forward with curiosity to the posting of a definitive explanation.

Similar Threads

  1. parts of speech
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2004, 09:41
  2. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-May-2004, 13:26
  3. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:30
  4. Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-May-2003, 22:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •