Post Thanks / Like

Smile Political system of GB

Hi, everyone!
    Could you, please, check my translation!

I guess there are a lot of mistakes!

First part

The United Kingdom is a country of parliamentary democracy with constitutional monarchy. Unlike most other comparable countries, Britain’s constitution isn’t set out in a single document. It represents the combination of common laws and conventions. The conventions are the rules and standards, which are produced and fixed by practice. They aren’t used by law compulsively, but they are very important for work of the government.
    The country is beholden to monarchy for political stability. Steadiness of monarchy was broken once for more than 1000 years.
    Today the Queen is not only head of state, but also a significant symbol of national unity.
    The Queen is Head of executive; part and parcel of legislature, Head of the judiciary and Head of the Army. The queen and her family are continue taking part in many traditional ceremonies. Their trips in different parts of Great Britain and many other countries are drawing huge attention to people. Royals are closely involved in works of mercy.

Thanks!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Political system of GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dar1ene View Post
    Hi, everyone!
    Could you, please, check my translation!

I guess there are a lot of mistakes!

First part

The United Kingdom is a country of parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy. Unlike most other comparable countries, Britainís constitution isnít set out in a single document. It represents the combination of common law and conventions. The conventions are the rules and standards, which are produced and fixed by practice. They arenít used by law compulsively, but they are very important for work of the government.
    The country is beholden to monarchy for political stability It is the monarchy which has given the country political stability. Steadiness of monarchy was broken once for more than 1000 years. Only once in over a 1000 years has the line of the monarchy been broken.
    Today the Queen is not only head of state, but also a significant symbol of national unity.
    The Queen is Head of the executive - part and parcel of legislature, Head of the judiciary and Head of the Army. The queen and her family are continue taking part take part in many traditional ceremonies. Their visits to different parts of Great Britain and many other countries are drawing huge attention to people.bring attention to those they visit. The Royals are closely involved in charitable matters.

Thanks!
    I am not quite clear what you mean by "conventions". In British law, there is common law, which is where the judges' decisions form the precedent that is followed in subsequent legal cases; and constitutional law, which is the laws decided in Parliament.

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I am not quite clear what you mean by "conventions". In British law, there is common law, which is where the judges' decisions form the precedent that is followed in subsequent legal cases; and constitutional law, which is the laws decided in Parliament.

Here's an example of a convention in the UK's governance - automatic Royal Assent. In theory, there is nothing to stop the monarch refusing to sign a bill into law, but by convention, the Royal Assent is now automatic, and I suspect many would be crying havoc and letting slip the dogs of war if it were ever withheld. A very cloaely related example can be found in the Whitlam/Kerr controversy in Australia, where the GG breached convention when he exercised powers granted by statute.
    Last edited by stuartnz; 12-Jul-2008 at 00:18.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Statutory law might be a better term than constitutional law, mightn't it?