Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: adverbials II

  1. #1
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default adverbials II

    Which of these sentences is correct:
    1-He is getting prepared for his exam at the foreign office. (The exam which will take place at the foreign office.)

    2-He is getting prepared for his exam on Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    3-He is getting prepared for his exam of Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    4-He is getting prepared for his exam for Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    5-He is getting prepared for his Monday's exam. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)

    6-He is getting prepared for his exam of the 23rd of June. (The exam which will take place on the 23rd of June.)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: adverbials II

    Hello Navi Tasan, teachers and everybody!
    Do you mind if I join the question?
    7. He is getting prepared for his exam appointed on Monday.
    8. He is getting prepared for his Monday exam.
    9. He is preparing for his exam appointed on Monday.
    And what's the difference between the meaning of the 7th and the 9th sentences?
    Thanks in advance!

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: adverbials II

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    Which of these sentences is correct:
    1-He is getting prepared for his exam at the foreign office. (The exam which will take place at the foreign office.)
    That is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    2-He is getting prepared for his exam on Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    That is good.

    3-He is getting prepared for his exam of Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    4-He is getting prepared for his exam for Monday. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    Say: on Monday.

    5-He is getting prepared for his Monday's exam. (The exam which will take place on Monday.)
    Say: his exam or Monday's exam.

    6-He is getting prepared for his exam of the 23rd of June. (The exam which will take place on the 23rd of June.)
    That is good.

    8)

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: adverbials II

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Hello Navi Tasan, teachers and everybody!
    Do you mind if I join the question?
    7. He is getting prepared for his exam appointed on Monday.
    8. He is getting prepared for his Monday exam.
    9. He is preparing for his exam appointed on Monday.
    And what's the difference between the meaning of the 7th and the 9th sentences?
    Thanks in advance!
    There is no difference between "getting prepared for" and "preparing for", but "appointed" does not fit in either sentence (7 or 9). (The other sentence is fine.)

    8)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: adverbials II

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Hello Navi Tasan, teachers and everybody!
    Do you mind if I join the question?
    7. He is getting prepared for his exam appointed on Monday.
    8. He is getting prepared for his Monday exam.
    9. He is preparing for his exam appointed on Monday.
    And what's the difference between the meaning of the 7th and the 9th sentences?
    Thanks in advance!
    There is no difference between "getting prepared for" and "preparing for", but "appointed" does not fit in either sentence (7 or 9). (The other sentence is fine.)

    8)
    Thank you very much, RonBee. :)

Similar Threads

  1. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 00:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •