• Post Thanks / Like

need some advice on my writting

Hello, I am going to take GRE recently. This is one practice essay for the exam. I need someone could help me to correct my grammar mistakes and give me good advice on how to perform well in the examination.

Issue 48 People make the mistake of treating experts with suspicion and mistrust, no matter how valuable their contributions might be.

Experts, or professionals, are often considered as a group of people who have studied in certain fields for long time and know much deeper and more precise than the lay people. They can display a clear and new picture for the public, and eventually help people benefit from the power of knowledge. Experts can give us subjective suggestions when we meet difficulties and puzzles, which are often effective and efficient. Sometimes their ideas might bring about suspicion and mistrust from some individuals who doubt everything before understanding the whole story they present to us. But in a whole, they gain more reputation and respects from public than suspicions, even if they actually hold completely wrong theories.

There are two reasons to explain why people would like to accept expertsí ideas without a doubt. First, the lack of knowledge of a unfamiliar field prevent public the ability to be aware of what is true or wrong. At the same time, we lose the opportunity to doubt what we get from an expert. We are inclined to believe the experts who are knowledgeable, follow their instruction and advice. It is wise to consult a professional when we can not make a decision competently. Second, when experts exert their theories on the public, they have propensity to display the examples which support their ideas perfect. Maybe there are some cases which conflict with their theories, they ignore them or concede them deliberately. It seems every detail in their theory is impeccable, and there is no reason to refuse accepting them immediately. The more people accept them, the more difficult for others to hold suspicion and doubt. The theory which is accepted by most of people eventually becomes a truth for public, and it is hard to overthrow it since then.

Fortunately, there are still a few people who have courage to cast doubts on these so-called truths, and put in efforts to correct their flaws or overthrow them to totally new concepts. Obviously it is reluctant for the public to experience brainstorm, and they need time to know and accept a new one before eliminating the influence of the old one. However, only by this way can we be access to the truth little by little, and drive the development of human beings, not only in natural science but also in humanity. Every progress made by people towards truths makes up of countless suspicions and affirmations. For instance, Nicolas Copernicus, the great astronomer and founder of the heliocentric ordering of the planets, cast doubt on the prevalent idea of that time that the earth is the center of the cosmos which first was espoused by Aristotle and conceived as a truth in the western world. If Copernicus accepted the geocentric theory without hesitation as other people in that people, it is possible till now we are living in a world of egotism and have no expectation to explore the out space.
    To sum up, suspicion is necessary for the development of sciences of nature and social. When we hold suspicion, we are making progress rather than mistakes.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: need some advice on my writting

Quote Originally Posted by meredhi View Post
    Hello, I am going to take the GRE recently.

Then you had better learn how to use the word recently. We don't use it for future tehse, only for past tense. Example:
    I recently took the GRE.

or (in BE)

I recently sat for the GRE.

This is a practice essay for the exam. I need someone to correct my grammar mistakes and give me good advice on how to perform well in the examination.

Issue 48 People make the mistake of treating experts with suspicion and mistrust, no matter how valuable their contributions might be.

What people?

Experts, or professionals, are often considered as a group of people who have studied in certain fields for long time and know much deeper and more precise than the lay people.

What do they know? (Rather than the lay people, say lay people.)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: need some advice on my writting

skeptical