Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    "it happened to me"

    Hi,

    I read a post with this expression in/on this forum. At first glance it sounded OK to me but after a second look I started wondering if its usage was correct.

    Is it right to say "Suddenly it happened to me that today it's my uncle's birthday and I can't forget to call him!"?

    Can I use ''it happened to me'' to mean ''it occurred to me''?

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 75
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "it happened to me"

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    "Suddenly it happened to me that today it's my uncle's birthday and I can't forget to call him!"?
    Hi jctgf,

    As a native English speaker and ESL tutor, I would never say "it happened" in this context. You are correct with "it occurred."

    Take care,
    Debra
    http://www.teaching-esl-to-adults.com


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: "it happened to me"

    "...I happened to remember that..."

    "...it occurred to me that..."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: "it happened to me"

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    "...I happened to remember that..."

    "...it occurred to me that..."

    that's precisely how I know these expressions.
    thanks again.

  1. summer rain's Avatar

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: "it happened to me"

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    Hi,

    I read a post with this expression in/on this forum. At first glance it sounded OK to me but after a second look I started wondering if its usage was correct.

    Is it right to say "Suddenly it happened to me that today it's my uncle's birthday and I can't forget to call him!"?

    Can I use ''it happened to me'' to mean ''it occurred to me''?

    Thanks.
    It would be better to say: "It happened to be my uncle's birthday and I forgot to call him".

Similar Threads

  1. "It killed me"
    By Noego in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2008, 06:50
  2. "it doesn't pay to upset me"
    By lukre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2008, 20:06
  3. happened or had happened?
    By vaok in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2007, 14:28
  4. "too good for me" or "too good to me"
    By pink dragon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Jun-2006, 09:09
  5. "What happened to you" or "What's happened to
    By Cicily21 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2004, 10:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •