Post Thanks / Like

Default Saluation Meaning?? - " May your shadow never be less"

Hello Teacher,
    Could you please advise me the meaning of this saluation as title shown?

"May your shadow never be less"

Thank you very much in advance~~
    Last edited by Matt1978; 11-Jul-2008 at 03:59. Reason: Grammatical Correction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saluation Meaning?? - " May your shadow never be less"

This expression is found in Persia and Egypt at least. In the days when Medicine Men were more common, students were tutored in the Black Arts. They were compelled to run through a subterranean hall with the devil after them. If they ran so fast that the devil could only catch their shadow, or part of it, they became first-rate magicians, but they would lose either all or part of their shadow. Therefore, the expression means, "May you escape wholly and entirely from the clutches of the foul fiend."

It is the Moslem form of 'thank you'. The expression has been 'adopted' by beggars, who looks upon someone giving alms as the channel through which Allah sends him what he wants, and he prays for more to come. So, “May your shadow never be less” for the beggar means, 'may you increase in prosperity so that I may gain thereby!'

Post Thanks / Like

Hello David,

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation. I finally understood what this saluation mean...

It's quite different from the meaning I dug up from translation software..."Wish you forever young..." Maybe I should send this message to the owner of the software and make some correction about it.

BobK is online now Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1978 View Post
    Hello David,

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation. I finally understood what this saluation mean...

It's quite different from the meaning I dug up from translation software..."Wish you forever young..." Maybe I should send this message to the owner of the software and make some correction about it.
    And you can add another possible meaning: when you die, your shadow gets much shorter; at night - as far as the sun is concerned - you don't have a shadow when you're lying down (which makes death or some other misfortune a more likely cause of shadow-reduction!)

And another: As you get older you get shorter (after you stop growing, that is). David's suggestion seems likely to me, and may well be the source for people with the necessary cultural background; but other people may use the salutation with any of these other meanings - or possibly with no meaning at all (just using a conventional form of words - how many English speakers say "Goodbye" and mean "God be wi' ye"? Very few, if any, I'd guess).

So I don't think it's worth your time to contact the owner of that software.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bobk,
    Thank you for your kind advice. I am still learning the meanings of different saluation and translate them into Madarin form for my Mexican friends. Since I am all thumbs when it comes to this kind of material, to translate one language into another. For sure, I will never try to contact the owner of the software.

By the way, the software is programmed by a Mainland China company...