chiosgirl is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flannel board lessons

I am having difficulty with a module in my efl course, that of creating a flannel board lesson. Whilst I get the general idea, the concept of using it in a class for teaching English escapes me. I wanted to do a lesson plan for using a flannel board for young adults, but it seems that any help on the internet is really aimed at children, and also aimed at teaching them their mother language.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome to help me get my creative head on please.....

Thanks
    Jane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flannel board lessons

How about using something like a play house felt board that shows people and furniture and household items, and use it to teach them the names of household things, rooms, or prepositions or adjectives? It doesn't sound like it needs to be a "story" really but just using the flannel board. With the play house one I think older students would really enjoy it and it is something everyone can relate to and understand visually. Story Time Felts makes the one I am thinking of. Another one would be a farm, and you could teach them using the animals. Even if it feels childish, I've found that it's fun to bring out the child in older students. Have fun with it!
    Karen

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chiosgirl View Post
    I am having difficulty with a module in my efl course, that of creating a flannel board lesson. Whilst I get the general idea, the concept of using it in a class for teaching English escapes me. I wanted to do a lesson plan for using a flannel board for young adults, but it seems that any help on the internet is really aimed at children, and also aimed at teaching them their mother language.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome to help me get my creative head on please.....

Thanks
    Jane
    You could line up a series of subject pronouns down one side, and ask your students to place a piece (containing various conjugations of verbs) where it fits on the other side. Or, any of those quizzes where you have to draw a line between something on the left and its partner on the right.

chiosgirl is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you two, some good ideas. I will now get on and try to do something with them. Cheers.