Post Thanks / Like

Default Oppotunity And Venture

Please correct the grammars in the following sentences, thanks

Opportunities and ventures are always combined together. We should pay more attention to ventures when we take some opportunities.
    Last week, I got a offer lauched by an American company, it really was a rather satisfying job I always want to do, but the higher lauguage skill was required. Although my technique experience was enough to meet the requirement of the position, I was still worried about my English expression skill. For I have spent a lot of time to listening and reading, I can well understand what the others said, but the biggest problem is I can describe my thinking and opinions well.
    These two days, I was gotting anxity about this matter, I was really worried about my English skill.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oppotunity And Venture

Can you first explain what you mean by 'venture' because it is not normally a word that is used as a noun, it is a verb, something you do, not something you have.

Taking that word out, I would delete the first sentences and say:

Last week, I was given an offer from an American company. It really was a rather satisfying job I have always wanted to do, but higher language skills were required. Although my experience in the techniques of the job were enough to meet the requirements of the position, I was still worried about my skills in English expression. I have spent a lot of time listening and reading in English, and I can understand what others say well, but the biggest problem is I cannot describe my thoughts and opinions well. For the last two days, I have been anxious about this matter. I have been really worried about my English skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 'risk' is better

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Please correct the grammars in the following sentences, thanks

Opportunities and ventures always go hand in hand. We should pay more attention to ventures when we take (some) opportunities.

Last week, I got a offer (lauched by) from an American company, it (really) was (a rather satisfying) job I have always want to do, but (the) a higher level of lauguage skill was required. Although my (technique) experience was) is enough to meet the requirements of the position, I was am still worried about my English expression skill. (For) I have spent a lot of time (to) listening and reading(,) I can (well) understand what the others said(,) but the biggest problem is I can describe my thinking express my thoughts and opinions well.

These two days, I was gotting anxity about this matter, I was really worried about my English skill.
    I have been anxious about the matter the past two day and I am really worried about my skill in English.

note - omits words in brackets

not a teacher

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

'venture' because it is not normally a word that is used as a noun
    Venture is also a noun, as in business venture and the proverb 'nothing venture nothing gain'

I do agree, risk is a more appropriate word.

not a teacher

Post Thanks / Like

Yes with business venture but then it is the same thing (basically) as an opportunity so it was confusing. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained," uses it as a verb though which is what I was thinking of.

Using it as "risk" instead makes sense! Thank you! I would make the first part this:

With every opportunity, there is risk. We should pay more attention to the risks involved when we take on new opportunities.