Thread: Family

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Family

Hi there. I'd like to talk about my family in my next exam. I'll do the exam of testing my level again(speaking not writing), and I want to talk about my family perfectly. Could you help me with the way that I should take?
    Thanks in advance.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Family

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's tear View Post
    Hi there. I'd like to talk about my family in my next exam. I'll do the exam of testing my level again(speaking not writing), and I want to talk about my family perfectly. Could you help me with the way that I should take?

Thanks in advance.
    DT, I'll be happy to help you. What would you like to say about your family?

Cheers,
    Amigo

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Your help is appreciated in advance

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    DT, I'll be happy to help you. What would you like to say about your family?

Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hi dear friend amigos. I want to use some idioms about the family. For example I'd like to say: learning foreign languages runs in my family. I'm not sure about this idiom so much but just to explain. I also want to express that I live with my parents, brothers and sisters, and I do my role very well, for example I always hold the fort although I'm a very calm and vague person.
    My father doesn't believe in importance of girls when they study foreign languages but my insistence and resolve helped me a lot to do it. I taught myself English language without a teacher. And now I'm so glad that he could understand my passion for English.
    Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy to live with them.

I'm so confused I don't know how to make this paragraph, especially my speaking, it's not good enough. I want to do something off the wall.
    muchas gracias mi amigo

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Family

Hi - as you know, we like you to write your piece, then we will comment.

However - start by explaining who is in your family, and where you come in it.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your help is appreciated in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's tear View Post
    Hi dear friend amigos. I want to use some idioms about the family. For example I'd like to say: learning foreign languages runs in my family. I'm not sure about this idiom so much but just to explain. I also want to express that I live with my parents, brothers and sisters, and I do my role very well, for example I always hold the fort although I'm a very calm and vague person.

My father doesn't believe in importance of girls when they study foreign languages but my insistence and resolve helped me a lot to do it. I taught myself English language without a teacher. And now I'm so glad that he could understand my passion for English.
    Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy to live with them.

I'm so confused I don't know how to make this paragraph, especially my speaking, it's not good enough. I want to do something off the wall.

muchas gracias mi amigo
    Hi, DT!

Anglika makes a good point by suggesting that you write a brief paragraph for us to critique. Just imagine that we are members of the examination board!

May I suggest that you be somewhat cautious in your use of idioms to describe your relationship with your family. You do not want to appear to be too 'cool' or 'hip' in your presentation. Perhaps stressing the values of 'leadership', 'responsibility', and 'independence' in your presentation will go a very long way in impressing the members of the oral exam board.

If you'd like to PM me with your thoughts I'd be happy to assist you further!

Take care!

Cheers,
    Amigo