kisboo Guest

Default Please help me out with this letter to school division

First of all, thanks for spending your precious time to read this letter.
    I would like to talk about the thing happened to me recently in my sociology class. I am taking five courses in the second year of my UT program of school. At the beginning of the semester, I arranged my schedule to be able to take five courses by getting some of them from the waiting list and dropping other four courses at that time. Sociology 1120 is one of these courses I got lately, same is sociology 1121. Hence, I missed first week of classes of both of them. There was no problem to get course outline and handouts from another course except Sociology 1120. The instructor in 1120 was saying that, " you'd better drop the class." when I apologized and explained to him after my first class there. That really depressed me a little bit though. Then he emphasized that he didn't want to hear any explanation about being absent. He also warned me to be watch on the quiz which would be come the next Wednesday. I was so nervous about his words, so I worked very hard on my notes. When he highly recommend a book, named "The birth and death of meaning" by Ernest Becker, and talked about six mean idea from this book in order to explain the concepts in textbook, I went to library to try to search for this book for more study after class. But I could not find it, not even any copy pages. I asked a librarian to help me. Then we found that there are 76 reference books under sociology 1120, but NONE of them from my instructor. The librarian suggested me to talk to instructor about this to get his help. I went back to the instructor for this requirement. But I was denied right away and was told that he will not , never, put any of his copies or books in the library. Instead, he asked," Can you excess city public library or use any other universities' resource?". After he said these words, he simply went away. I took many science courses in the college during last one year as a full time student. I understand there are many different ways for instructors to teach. although I didn't get any help from my sociology 1120 instructor, I still try my best to look for other sociology instructors' reference books or copies to study those synopses from my instructor, only because I like sociology course. Lots of sociolgy concepts really help me, a ESL student, to understand difference between eastern and western world. I always show my respect to my instructors for their efforts. However, this Tuesday lecture class, when I quietly stood up to the door to go for washroom, 1120 instructor stopped me by the door to make me standing there and to listen these kind of words from him, " if you want to leave the class, you do not need to come back again,", for about one minute in front of all class. I said, " Excuse me." and left with kind of frighten and shocking. I went to grab a cup of coffee to be calm down a little bit and decides to go back class. When I went in, He was only talking to me that it is not allow to take coffee in his class. So I put coffee aside. But he rushed to me right away after class and kind of yelling, " if you bring coffee in next week, you'd better to go registration office to drop the class, when I was about packing my stuff and leaving. I couldn't believe that I was told to drop the course TWICE from my instructor in a month when the new semester is just start. It really hurts me a lot! I like my sociology course so much. Compare to 1120 instructor, another of my sociology course's instructor helps me lots. She was not only to copy the outline for me, and also encourage me to get notes from other students to cover the part I missed. I think she treats every one equally. Compare to this, when other two girls went out classroom on Tuesday's 1120 class, but instructor didn't say anything to them. Furthermore, it really makes me feel to be treated unequally and unfair by seeing other two classmates brought coffee in his class but without being told any words at today's class(Thursday). Now, I feel really stressful to attend his class. But I still need and have to concentrate on coming mid term of sociology1120. I don't want to be silence about these things, so I decide to write this to you. Hopefully, I could get chance to talk with you sometime.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help me out with this letter to school division

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

I would like to tell you about something that happened to me recently in my sociology class. I am in the second year of the UT program with a five course load. At the beginning of the semester, I registered for five courses but was placed on a waiting list and so it wasn't until after the first week of classes that I actually started attending classes.

I had no problem getting course outlines and handouts for my other courses, with the except of one course, Sociology 1120. On my first day of class, which was a week into the semester, I apologized to the instructor, explaining the reason for my absence, but the instructor said, "You'd better drop the class." That really depressed me a little bit though. Then he emphasized that he didn't want to hear any explanation about being absent. He also warned me that there was going to be a quiz next Wednesday. I was so nervous by what he said that I worked hard at making detailed class notes, and when he highly recommend "The birth and death of meaning" by Ernest Becker and talked about its six main ideas, I went to library to search for the book but I could not find it or any copies of it, not even photocopied pages.

I asked one of the librarians to help me. We found 76 reference books on reserve for sociology 1120, and not one of them was placed on reserve by my instructor. The librarian suggested that I speak with the instructor, so I went back to the instructor with that request but my request was instantly denied. He said that he never puts any of his copies or books in the library on reserve, but added--before leaving me standing there--"Can you access the public library or use any other universities' resources?"

As a full-time student I have taken many science courses at this college during last year, so I understand there are many different ways for instructors to teach. Although I didn't get any help from my sociology 1120 instructor, I still tried my best because I like sociology. (Many of the concepts really help me, an ESL student, to understand differences between the eastern and western world.) I used the other sociology instructors' reference books and copies in order to study the synopses required by my instructor.

I always show my respect to my instructors for their efforts. However, this Tuesday's lecture, when I quietly stood up to go to the washroom, my 1120 instructor stopped me at the door and took at least one full minute to say in front of the entire class, "If you want to leave the class, you do not need to come back again." I said, " Excuse me" and left frightened and in shock. I went and grabbed a cup of coffee to calm down a little bit and then went back to class. When I went in, he told me that coffee is not allowed in his class, so I put the coffee aside. After class, as I was packing up and getting ready to leave, he rushed right up to me almost yelling, "If you bring coffee in next week, you'd better go to the registration office and drop the class!" I couldn't believe that he told me twice to drop the course and, moreover, just a month before the new semester is about to start.

It really hurts me a great deal! I like sociology very much. My other sociology instructor in 1121 helps me out a lot. She not only copies the outline for me, she also encourages me to get notes from other students to cover the parts I missed. I think she treats everyone equally. When two girls left her lecture mid-way through on Tuesday, she didn't say anything to them. In contrast, the 1120 instructor really makes me feel as if I am being treated unfairly. This past Thursday two classmates brought coffee into his class and nothing was said about it.

I feel very stressed now in his class, and the pressure I feel is making it difficult for me to concentrate on the upcoming 1120 sociology mid-term. I don't want to be silence about these things, so I decide to write this to you. My hope is that we will be able to talk about this in person.

kisboo Guest

thanks so much for your help!

take care

kisboo

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. :D