Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    Hello again and many thanks, dear teachers!
    What about the following: “The conditions outside the flats are also intolerable. The people have to remain among the blackened walls, charred doors, destroyed or looted equipment and rubbish”?.

  2. #12
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Hello again and many thanks, dear teachers!
    What about the following: “The conditions outside the flats are also intolerable. The people have to remain among the blackened walls, charred doors, destroyed or looted equipment and rubbish”?.
    The first sentence is fine. I would rewrite the second one somewhat. Perhaps: "The people have to endure (or put up with) such conditions as blackened walls, charred doors, destroyed equipment, and rubbish strewn about the premises." You could add: "Vandalism and theft are a constant problem." (They don't have to put up with looted equipment, because it isn't there.)

    What do you think?

    8)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Hello again and many thanks, dear teachers!
    What about the following: “The conditions outside the flats are also intolerable. The people have to remain among the blackened walls, charred doors, destroyed or looted equipment and rubbish”?.
    The first sentence is fine. I would rewrite the second one somewhat. Perhaps: "The people have to endure (or put up with) such conditions as blackened walls, charred doors, destroyed equipment, and rubbish strewn about the premises." You could add: "Vandalism and theft are a constant problem." (They don't have to put up with looted equipment, because it isn't there.)

    What do you think?

    8)
    Thanks! That’s a great idea!
    So, "The people have to put up with such conditions as blackened walls, charred doors and rubbish strewn about the premises. Vandalism and theft, which are a constant problem, damage equipment and make the blocks uninhabitable."
    I agree that the people don't have to put up with looted equipment, because it isn't there. :P The opposite is incorrect in Russian as well.
    BTW, I love English phrasal verbs, but I only was worried about using them in the formal letter. Sometimes they surprise me with their meaning and some of the p.v. I’ve learnt are used in informal speech.

  4. #14
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That looks good to me. :D

    8)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    That looks good to me. :D

    8)
    Thanks a lot! Nice to work with you and Tdol.

  6. #16
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    There is a whole slew of phrasal verbs beginning with put. Go here:
    http://www.onelook.com/?w=put_*&ls=a

    put up with:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ut%20up%20with (near the bottom of the page)
    put up with:
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...va=put+up+with (near the bottom of the page)

    Example: "I will not put up with that anymore."

    8)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    There is a whole slew of phrasal verbs beginning with put. Go here:
    http://www.onelook.com/?w=put_*&ls=a

    put up with:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ut%20up%20with (near the bottom of the page)
    put up with:
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...va=put+up+with (near the bottom of the page)

    Example: "I will not put up with that anymore."

    8)
    I'm very grateful to you, RonBee, for showing me these links that are very useful. I’ve found out a lot of helpful information. :)

  8. #18
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the letter of complaint

    You're quite welcome. :D

    8)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. A letter and a business letter
    By adorer52 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2009, 23:38
  2. Please help me to remend my resume and coverting letter
    By Anonymous in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2006, 12:25
  3. Letter of Complaint
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-May-2004, 19:37
  4. complaint letter
    By abrilsp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2003, 16:21
  5. Complaint letter
    By abrilsp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2003, 22:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk