Post Thanks / Like

Default inside and insides

Hi,

I have a question about this word-insides, while I was watching the TV show Prison Break. My question is, if I say-Maybe we ought to take a look at them inside and find out, hmm? Then what is the diffenece between them, I mean, inside and insides ?

Thanks for your help.

T-Bag: Nice-looking piece of steel; bit of work. You could do some serious damage with it. Question is, who was it you was plannin' on damaging? I seen you with black people, you know. Well, maybe you're one of them milk chickens. All confused-like. White on the outside, black on the inside. Maybe we ought to take a look at them insides and find out, hmm?

tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: inside and insides

Maybe we ought to take a look at them inside and find out, hmm?
    'Inside' is used as adverb and is singular.
    It can also be used as a noun, where you can have plural. ex. -

Maybe we ought to take a look at them on the inside and find out, hmm?

not a teacher

Post Thanks / Like

We say that one's heart is located inside our bodies, inside our chests.
    Colloquially, we refer to our stomach and bowels as our 'insides'.

So, the character says, Well, maybe you're one of them milk chickens. All confused-like. White on the outside, black on the inside.

So, you could rip him open and look inside to see if he's black inside; and what you would see is all his guts and other organs, his 'insides'! So, just like the other character seems to be threatening/intending to 'damage' another inmate, T- bag is 'toying' with him, and that maybe to find out whether he is lily-livered - a coward, a white milk chicken - he ought to rip out his insides and take a look at what colour his guts are.

I hope you are just watching this show for entertainment. In what social company will you be using the English you are picking up on this show - When do you expect to be talking to someone and suggesting maybe you might take a look at their insides to see whether they're just a yellow-bellied ....
    Last edited by David L.; 27-Jul-2008 at 15:26.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=David L.;326001]We say that one's heart is located inside our bodies, inside our chests.

Hi, David L.

Thanks for your help again.

It is a real truth that we are always meeting something unpleasant while learning language through the TV shows !

I hope you do not mind, if I ask some question concerning some unpleasant things.

I like learning language by watching shows, and we just know those bad words, but we will never say, use them to other people!

I really hope we could keep discussing questions on English learning together in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are used to unpleasant things, then you'll have no problem with my sense of humour at times!

(...and I really was joking in the last paragraph of my earlier post. I'm not squeamish about a bit of guts and gore.)