Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    hiho is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Ok. A few things has been bugging me since a few days. I really don't see any difference between some sentences. Here they come:

    ---------------------

    I've used this car for a certain period of time.

    vs.

    I used this car for a certain period of time.


    What does the 'have' change in a sentence?

    For example: I've noticed vs. I noticed? Isn't that the same?

    ---------------------

    What's the difference between:

    I've sold the car

    vs.

    I had sold the car

    vs.

    I sold the car

    ---------------------

    Last but not least,

    Difference between:

    The car is sold.

    vs.

    The car has been sold.

    vs.

    The car had been sold.

    ----------------------------



    Thank you very much guys!

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    [quote=hiho;327442]Ok. A few things has been bugging me since a few days. I really don't see any difference between some sentences. Here they come:

    ---------------------

    I've used this car for a certain period of time.

    vs.

    I used this car for a certain period of time.


    What does the 'have' change in a sentence?

    For example: I've noticed vs. I noticed? Isn't that the same?

    ---------------------

    What's the difference between:

    I've sold the car

    vs.

    I had sold the car

    vs.

    I sold the car

    ---------------------

    Last but not least,

    Difference between:

    The car is sold.

    vs.

    The car has been sold.

    vs.

    The car had been sold.

    ----------------------------
    1. What does the 'have' change in a sentence?
    "used" is past tense. "have used" is "present perfect"
    - similar to usavo and "ho usato", but not exactly equivalent.
    For example: I've noticed vs. I noticed? Isn't that the same? No

    I've sold the car Ho venduto la macchina. Present perfect.
    vs.
    I had sold the car. Avevo venduto la macchina. Past Perfect
    vs.
    I sold the car. Vendevo la macchina Simple past. (But not exactly equivalent).

    These are passive voice
    The car is sold. La macchina venduta
    vs.
    The car has been sold.
    La macchina era ( stata) venduta.
    vs.
    The car had been sold.
    La macchina fu venduta.
    Ma non hai una grammatica per la scuola? Don't you have a basic grammar book?

  3. #3
    hiho is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Thanks dude but I am using an account that my friend has created for me. Therefore, I did not understand a single word you said. Could you please answer that again but in english please.

    Thanks for your afford and sorry for the confusion with the italian.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Quote Originally Posted by hiho View Post
    Thanks dude but I am using an account that my friend has created for me. Therefore, I did not understand a single word you said. Could you please answer that again but in english please.

    Thanks for your afford and sorry for the confusion with the italian.
    The bits that are in English (and there are some) are all that is necessary to guide you to the appropriate place in your grammar book. I've labelled the tenses in English.
    Or you could ask your Italian alter ego to interpret the bits you can't read.

  5. #5
    hiho is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    I've read my grammar book but I did not find a clear answer for my question. If you had time, could you please try to explain it in english.

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Quote Originally Posted by hiho View Post
    I've read my grammar book but I did not find a clear answer for my question. If you had time, could you please try to explain it in english.

    Thanks again!
    OK, let's take it a step at a time - Past tenses; what has already happened.
    What's the difference between:
    I sold the car. (Simple past) This means that at some specific time in the past, you sold the car. for example. "Yesterday, I sold the car". I'm going to assume you know what this means.
    I've sold the car. (Present perfect). This is used to say something about the present. Now, the car is (has been) sold. You have (at some unidentified and irrelevant time in past) sold the car.
    vs.
    I had sold the car. (Past perfect). This refers to a time in the past before another time in the past that you refer to. For example:
    "A man rang me about the car, but I had sold it already)".
    Let's say it's Friday. You sold the car last Monday, and the man rang on Wednesday. So, the man rang (in the past), but you sold the car (even further back in the past)

    These are the three past tenses: Simple past, Present perfect, Past perfect.
    Do you follow me so far?

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    OK, let's take it a step at a time - Past tenses; what has already happened.
    What's the difference between:
    I sold the car. (Simple past) This means that at some specific time in the past, you sold the car. for example. "Yesterday, I sold the car". I'm going to assume you know what this means.
    I've sold the car. (Present perfect). This is used to say something about the present. Now, the car is (has been) sold. You have (at some unidentified and irrelevant time in past) sold the car.
    vs.
    I had sold the car. (Past perfect). This refers to a time in the past before another time in the past that you refer to. For example:
    "A man rang me about the car, but I had sold it already)".
    Let's say it's Friday. You sold the car last Monday, and the man rang on Wednesday. So, the man rang (in the past), but you sold the car (even further back in the past)

    These are the three past tenses: Simple past, Present perfect, Past perfect.
    Do you follow me so far?
    Raymott, that is a beautiful explanation. I take my hat off to you.

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Raymott, that is a beautiful explanation. I take my hat off to you.
    Why, thank you!

  9. #9
    hiho is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Thanks dude I kind of get it now. From what I've read I understand that 'I sold the car' and 'I sold the car' means pretty much the same.
    Could you also explain me the difference between

    Something was given to me.

    Something has been given to me.

    thanks again!

  10. #10
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oh boy.. I'm lost

    Quote Originally Posted by hiho View Post
    Thanks dude I kind of get it now. From what I've read I understand that 'I sold the car' and 'I sold the car' means pretty much the same.
    Could you also explain me the difference between

    Something was given to me.

    Something has been given to me.

    thanks again!
    These are both in the passive voice. Otherwise they are similar to the
    "I sold the car" / I've sold the car" example.

    1. Something was given to me. = Someone gave me something. (simple past)
    2. Something has been given to me. = Someone has given me something. (present perfect)

    You can change the following active voice sentences into passive:
    "I sold the car" -> "The car was sold by me" (passive voice of the simple past tense)
    "I've sold the car" -> "The car has been sold by me". (passive voice of the present perfect tense).

    The passive voice just changes the subject of the sentence. For example, if you don't want to say you sold the car, you can just say "The car was sold" or "The car has been sold".

Similar Threads

  1. Singular or plural? They lost their job(s).
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2010, 17:09
  2. we lost 3-1
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2008, 02:20
  3. the key that you lost/ have lost
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2008, 06:59
  4. lost in reverie
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2007, 02:40
  5. meaning: be lost on
    By Srdjan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2006, 04:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •